Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #1 
Petsushi

Travelling by car with betta

I'm getting ready to move soon and am trying to figure out the best way to transport my betta. It's going to be a 4 hour drive, and I currently have two possible methods:

(1) The Cup Method! Empty out the tank and place him in a cup, which will go into the cupholder for the ride. I have an empty Starbucks tall size cup for the deed, complete with lid (no straw or coffee though :P).

Or...

(2) Leave him in his tank. It's a 2-gallon hex from petco. I could drain most of the water so it won't spill during the trip, but leave just enough for him to swim around at the bottom.

What do you think would be the best way? Or maybe other suggestions Thanks in advance!
Petsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #2 
TheCheese909

I think either or would be okay.. I would go with the cup though, just incase, so that he doesn't slosh around too much during the trip.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #3 
puppyrjjkm

Either is fine for that short of a trip. We did a 2000 mi cross country move, over three days. Had the 5 boys in individual 1/2 gals filled halfway. Worked really well. The cup may be best, unless he's a very large betta and needs more room to be comfortable. If that's the case I would keep him in the tank. You can put a towel or blanket around what he is in, they are less stressed in a dark environment. Best of luck!

EDIT: I thought you were going to use the cup you bought the fish in my bad. I would go with the tank then since the cup won't have a lid it may be a little messy.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #4 
Kenny G

After reading all the posts I would go with the cup. Just in case things get bumpy you don't want to do anything that may break your tank. I would also add an almond leaf to the water to reduce stress.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #5 
Petsushi

It looks like the cup option sounds like the better one! @puppyrjjkm, the cup actually does have a lid - it's just a drink lid though (it's a Starbucks cup+lid).

Good idea with the almond leaf! I think I'll definitely try to reduce stress for him. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
Petsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #6 
ChibiShishou

Also if you want to make him a little more comfy if you put a sock around the cup (like to bottom ish part not covering it up completely but yknow nice and snug) itll keep the betta warm and absorb some of the vibrations and bouncy time you get in car rides. :)
ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #7 
katrina89

mine survived a 17 hr trip... in the car. We packed in into a one gallon critter keeper just lowered the water half way no substrate so he wouldnt scratch himself if he sloshed. We put him in a cooler ... cracked it open to let air flow... but not too much... we put a towel inbetween the critterkeeper and an ice pack so he didnt get too hot... the lady said when the bettas are packaged and sent to petsmart theyre packed w ice... there is no direct contact but it cools the air so they dont cook
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote