Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #11 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
lol alright. If you can just get a picture of her tail and then from there we could help. or maybe where did you get her at? Sometimes certain stores only sell one kind

MHM! I got three females from my buddy. He told me that "he forgot who the male and female...." Eh?? maybe he forgot because HIS WHOLE HOUSE IS LIKE A BETTA SHOP!!! lol. One of the females that look like the one we are talking about, jumped out of her jar and dried up like her bloodworms. ...

Who knows. I thought that she was a plakat because they are jumpers and her sibling jumped out. She her self jumps for food at the top of the surface. Though idk!!! She can be a snake for all I know of about her. LOL!

P.S. I'm getting a picture for you guys. Just taking longer than I thought to get a good photo.
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #12 
KadenJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by JikoJiko View Post
MHM! I got three females from my buddy. He told me that "he forgot who the male and female...." Eh?? maybe he forgot because HIS WHOLE HOUSE IS LIKE A BETTA SHOP!!! lol. One of the females that look like the one we are talking about, jumped out of her jar and dried up like her bloodworms. ...

Who knows. I thought that she was a plakat because they are jumpers and her sibling jumped out. She her self jumps for food at the top of the surface. Though idk!!! She can be a snake for all I know of about her. LOL!

P.S. I'm getting a picture for you guys. Just taking longer than I thought to get a good photo.

All bettas jump, regardless of fin type. Plakat females have much narrower, rectangle-shaped anal fins, where (like Sena pointed out), yours comes down at a sharp angle like a veil tail.

It's important to know the genetic history of the fish you plan to breed.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #13 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Have you asked around to see what tail types, colors, patterns, etc that people want? The BUYER or ADOPTER should have say.

Have you decided to work on color, form, or "just because?" It's very important to have a goal, not just fill LFS's...

Do you have medications on hand in case the PK male decides to take a good chunk out of your female? Unlike the long finned fellas, PK males are a lot more agile

Are the fish from a store? If from a pet store, keep in mind if you would like to continue breeding getting higher quality bettas would be a lot better, because you will have the upper hand with selling or rehoming bettas. I asked around, made a poll etc for the buyer/adopter, plus made sure to get a decent quality pair(s) :)

hope it helped a little bit. And I do understand the trial and error - I can only learn ever so much from paper and internet, but actually doing it you learn as well. Just make sure you have the basics down
Yes. Thank you. I am confident that I have the hand of it. I didnt get my bettas from the pet store since they say that pets store bettas might not be good quality.

Though Im trying to complete the short finned blue hue of a PK. That is why I am trying to breed the male with the blueish girl to get a blue hue to the scales. : )
Old 07-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #14 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
In all honesty, I think you should do lots more research before you decide to breed. What are your plans for the offspring? Do you know how betta genetics work? Do you know what the parents will produce? Do you have the proper equipment and supplies (cultures, growout tubs, IAL, live plants, 100+ jars, etc)? Are you aware of the spawning process? Are these pet store fish, or fish from a breeder?

Whoops, you must have posted that as I was tying. It's great that you have successfully spawned before, but I believe there is more you can learn. I can tell you that female is a veiltail, and the offspring won't exactly be of decent quality. You should strive to start your own line of good quality bettas- that way you could potentially make a profit, learn about genetics, and in the meantime you are improving the overall betta splenden species, instead of multiplying bettas with scrambled genetics.

LOL.. its ok. ofcourse I will be researching day and night. Its just that sometimes research can be a great leap forwards, but what if you spawn doesn't slide with your research. Then its a leap backwards. That;s all.. lol

And I believe that veiltail is a dominant gene correct? compared to black colors that are recessive.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #15 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
I'm glad you feel this way jikojiko, however it makes you sound a bit ignorant. Knowledge is helpful and It is beneficial to the fish you are raising and breeding for you to read about it and make the best conditions you can for them. If you feel that way then no need to ask any questions right?
Mhm. though I was asking the question about size initially. lol.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #16 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Agreed. Why ask questions when you think you can do everything yourself?

You said yourself you do not know what the female is. To me she looks like a VT. If her anal fin SWOOPS beneath the caudal, it's VT. (with exceptions to odd finned CTs but those are obvious). Make sure to have a hand on tail type =D It helps.
OH. Thanks. how about the size? is she too small for the male? hes like 3-4 cm longer than her..
Old 07-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #17 
KadenJames

It's easier to learn when you have good stock to begin with- you wouldn't learn how to drive a car on a bike, would you? "Pet store fish" basically means a fish you don't know the genetic history of, and has scrambled genes like a rubix cube which makes it impossible to achieve any kind of goal. Especially as a newer breeder, I highly recommend obtaining a pair of breeding quality stock. That way you can see for yourself how genotypes and phenotypes work in breeding.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #18 
JikoJiko

Quote:
All bettas jump, regardless of fin type. Plakat females have much narrower, rectangle-shaped anal fins, where (like Sena pointed out), yours comes down at a sharp angle like a veil tail.

It's important to know the genetic history of the fish you plan to breed.
ALrightie then. I will be prepared label her as VT. I think the other female in the tank is a VT too, but perhaps a DElta. Though her anal fin doesnt swoop like the smaller one. The larger ones anal fin forms a sort of sharp end. The male that I already spawned her with was a delta male. He was a sibling with her. So she must be a delta with him.

Last edited by JikoJiko; 07-20-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #19 
KadenJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by JikoJiko View Post
ALrightie then. I will be prepared label her as VT. I think the other female in the tank is a VT too, but perhaps a DElta. Though her anal fin doesnt swoop like the smaller one. The larger ones anal fin forms a sort of sharp end. The male that I already spawned her with was a delta male. He was a sibling with her. So she must be a delta with him.

Plakat female-

Veiltail female-
Old 07-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #20 
JikoJiko

Quote:
It's easier to learn when you have good stock to begin with- you wouldn't learn how to drive a car on a bike, would you? "Pet store fish" basically means a fish you don't know the genetic history of, and has scrambled genes like a rubix cube which makes it impossible to achieve any kind of goal. Especially as a newer breeder, I highly recommend obtaining a pair of breeding quality stock. That way you can see for yourself how genotypes and phenotypes work in breeding.
thank you, I am trying to order some good quality PK from this site http://www.plakathot.com/en/

Just dont know when.