Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

BGA and Hydrogen Peroxide log

Seeing how expensive Aq plants in Australia are, I had my eyes on some BGA covered bunch of water wisteria for a while.... Wanting to ask for a discount for them when I have my npt materials almost ready.
I ended up purchashing a decent quantity of dwarf hairgrass, water wisteria, duckweed and another plant that I cant remember the name of. All for $10.

I'm going to spot treat the BGA with hydrogen, I'll update on how that goes.

For safety measures, I'll be removing Toothbrush....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

So I dosed the almost 1 gallon first, with about a ml of H2O2.
Ofcourse I took the fish out first into a pastic bottle.
The area I dosed soon began to form bubbles...dont see any changes to the BGA yet....just lots pf bubbles. Also dosed the other two jars of plants with about 3ml ea..which is ALOT. I have them under a bright lighting to help H2O2 break down into H2O+ O2. Couple of baby snails that came with the plant. I'll use them to see how lethal dosing H2O2 can be....for now they all seem to be dying.

I did a 99% water change after an hour in Toothbrush's tank, and let him back in.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I never had much luck with the H2O2 and BGA......The best way I have found was to manually remove it with a small siphon that I could target remove just the BGA without removing too much water-daily...with increased water movement and decreased light.

One of my tanks gets BGA a couple of times a year and I usually can get rid of it with that method within a week or less. This is a soil based tank that also gets natural sunlight from an East facing window.

I also noticed that the rain barrel that sits under that East facing window outside will get BGA during the heat of the summer when we don't get a lot of rain to keep it flushed out. I collected some Naja grass and water lettuce from it that was covered with BGA and moved it to a 5gal bucket on the West side of the house that only gets about 2 hours of sun/day and within 2 days nearly all the BGA had turned brown, bubbled up and I scooped it out and in another day or so the water was fairly clear and BGA gone....

Good luck...I am interested in seeing how the H2O2 treatment works for you...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hi OFL! how much do you dose usually?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

So I woke up this morning and.....
here are the before and after pics :D

It's evidently clearing up drastically on the heavily infected water wisteria!
And some baby snails are still alive! there are also other critters that obviously survived the 6ml/gal dosage in this jar and are skitting around

The light infections have pretty much all cleared. even in the 1 gal where I did a 99% WC after 1 hour of dosage.

And toothbrush.... is dancing for breakfast

Last edited by ao; 07-20-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #6 
MSG

So is dosing plants with BGA necessary if you don't want the BGA to spread through the tank?

Never thought of using H2O2 to kill it. What about UV lighting?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #7 
MSG

I like the last picture with the red betta in the green forest.

Do you ever have to worry about them getting caught in the java moss?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

I googled UV lighting... nothing came of that research. LOL

But whilst looking for BGA cures, I did come up with elodea being BGA resistant. oO. Need to find some of that for the 10g.

I have a horrible habit of over planting my small tanks :P I settled for a red betta precisely because of that. So that the contrast can be brought out :)

I can test with H2O2 With relative freedon right now as I have cheap plants on Hand with no live stock :) But generally dosing in large amounts os not recommended

Speaking of Toothbrush, I just caught him sleeping on the substrate as if he's dead oO. I fluffed up the moss before putting it in. he's been in there for about 2 weeks, so I'm not worried at all :)

Last edited by ao; 07-21-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #9 
MSG

Elodea is one of the most common aquarium plants like anacharis.

I find most solid color bettas look GREAT with a green forest behind them.

I'm glad I took pictures of the girls before they got introduced to each other this morning.

They were fighting like crazy. I wish I had more plants to keep them separated.

I'm going to check on them right now.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

UVs are great for killing algae. Though usually they are used for ponds. People also use UV to treat fish diseases, never heard of them doing it on this forum but on another one they talk about it a lot..
I tried H2O2 and it killed my hornwort. But they are babies and shed their needles at every little thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote