Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 
bettafishfan22

3 gallon tank question

Hi

I have a 3 gallon tank with a Betta Fish (ted) a gold mystery snail (garry) and 2 shrimp ( Blue and Jimmy) Do I have any more room for anything else like a cory catfish thanks!
bettafishfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafishfan22 View Post
Hi

I have a 3 gallon tank with a Betta Fish (ted) a gold mystery snail (garry) and 2 shrimp ( Blue and Jimmy) Do I have any more room for anything else like a cory catfish thanks!
I don't want to be rude, but i am just going to go out a say it. NO, NO, NO!!!!!

A 3 gallons can ONLY (IMO)comfortably house 1 betta and POSSIBLY the 2 shrimp(as long as it has a filter AND heater). I would suggest highly removing the snail and shrimp. Cory Catfish need a minimum of 20 gallons(they school, and can grow up to 4 inches!) and the pygmy cory cats need a minimum of 10 gallons. Cories also need sand substrate, becsue without it they will damage their babrles. They NEED and filter AND and heater.

Sorry if i came off as rude, i just didn't want any creatures to suffer

Good luck, and we would love to see pics!

BTW<i noticed you were new here. WELCOME fellow Betta lover!!! We all can't wait to see pictures of your betta and his/her tank! Kudos for you for getting a bigger tank for our betta, you just need to research a little more ;)

Last edited by MyRainbowBettaFish; 07-20-2012 at 02:26 PM.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #3 
bettafishfan22

Thank you the lady at petsmart said I had plenty of room to have a cory catfish instead of a snail but I think they sold me a dead one (its been almost 2 weeks and it hasnt moved any :(
Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Thank you the lady at petsmart said I had plenty of room to have a cory catfish instead of a snail but I think they sold me a dead one (its been almost 2 weeks and it hasnt moved any :(
Yep, Petsmart almost always (IMO) gives out false information. They (again IMO) are not trustworthy for info.

If the cory cat hasn't moved, remove it IMMEDIATELY otherwise it could pollute the water and cause lethal ammonia to rise.

BettaFishFan, may i ask how often you clean your tank and what you add to the water before putting it in the tank? Do you have a filter? A heater?

I would but the snail and shrimp in a fish bowl until you can rehome them. Your betta (IMO) will be happier without them. Bettas are solitary fish, which means they LIKE living by themselves, but will TOLERATE(dosent mean thy like them) other tank mates.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

For a 3 gallon tank, i would take a gravel vacuum (aka water siphon-you can buy at petmsart or any other petstore) and vacuum the gravel 2 times a week. You want to remove 50% of the water TWICE a week. SO change let say 50% on Sunday, and the 50% on Thursday. Make sure to treat the tap water with water dechlorinator(removes harmful metals and chemicals from water and makes it safe for fish) BEFORE adding to the tank.

How often do you feed your fish?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #6 
bettafishfan22

I dont have a catfish it was the snail i was talking about. And i do have a filter by not heater, i did a lot of research ( Im a beginer at fish keeping) my dad ( who used to have many fish said I didnt need one
Old 07-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #7 
bettafishfan22

and I feed my fish at least 1 time daily and most days 2 times and once a week i do no feeding
Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
I dont have a catfish it was the snail i was talking about. And i do have a filter by not heater, i did a lot of research ( Im a beginer at fish keeping) my dad ( who used to have many fish said I didnt need one
Then i would remove the snail and shrimp and put them in a fish bowl until you rehome them.

I am going to have to go against your dad here. Betta fish ABSOLUTELY NEED heated water. Their water constantly has to be around 78-80 degrees no matter what. If bettas are kept in cool water for too long, they will become lethargic and can get diseases and will die.

I know this is a lot of information to take in, as a beginning fish hobbyist, but this information is essential. Keep doing like your doing and research on THIS site(the most knowledgeable site i know IMO) because it has the most correct information.

Glad to hear you are researching!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
and I feed my fish at least 1 time daily and most days 2 times and once a week i do no feeding
Sounds like a good feeding schedule. What type of food do you feed, and how much of it?

The best betta foods are:

NLS ( New Life Spectrum Betta Formula)

or

Hikari Betta Bio GOld

or to start:

Aqueon Betta Pellets

You should feed your betta (for optimum results) 2 pellets in the morning and 2 pellets at night and fast once a week like you are already doing.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #10 
bettafishfan22

Yea, Im saving up for a bigger tank about 20-40 gallons I just wanted to get a little bit of experince