Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #1 
labloverl

questions on my filter, water changes, and water temps

I have a divided 10 gallon tank and I do a 50 % water change each week. For this change, I shouldn't have to acclimate the bettas to the new water should I? I just syphon the water out with them in the tank, and then add the new water.

For the water temp, I'd like to know if people keep their heaters on during the summer. My tank stays between 78 and 82 degrees. It might warm up a bit during the 2-4 hours that the tank light is on though.

About my filter... WHen I do a water change, I unplug the filter (HOB that came with the 10 gallon) and then plug it back in after the tank is full again. Lately, it has not been coming on right away. Sometimes I can flip the power cord switch a few times, and it comes on. Does this mean that the filter is going out? The only other filter I have available is a tetra whisper 2-10i power filter.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #2 
MSG

The answer to your heater questions is determined by where you live and where you keep the fish tank.

I'm East of NYC, so it's currently summer.

I unplugged my 100 watt built in thermostat heater about a month ago. Tanks usually stay around 78-85 degrees, so I don't see the point of leaving them plugged in all the time. But during the summer I swap out to 25w or a 50w heater.

During the winter I switch to a 75-100 or 150 watt heater if absolutely necessary. But that applies to the 30 gallon.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
I have a divided 10 gallon tank and I do a 50 % water change each week. For this change, I shouldn't have to acclimate the bettas to the new water should I? I just syphon the water out with them in the tank, and then add the new water.

For the water temp, I'd like to know if people keep their heaters on during the summer. My tank stays between 78 and 82 degrees. It might warm up a bit during the 2-4 hours that the tank light is on though.

About my filter... WHen I do a water change, I unplug the filter (HOB that came with the 10 gallon) and then plug it back in after the tank is full again. Lately, it has not been coming on right away. Sometimes I can flip the power cord switch a few times, and it comes on. Does this mean that the filter is going out? The only other filter I have available is a tetra whisper 2-10i power filter.
For the filter, no it does not mean its broken. Mine does it all the time, if its an HOB type, it is just using the intake to fill with water to get the flow going. You see, once you unplug an HOB, it drains and then has to refill itself again.

Temp is perfect.

I would cycle your tank, if it already isn't. No, when you do a partial water change and add the new water, you don't have to acclimate. I keep my betta in the tank when doing a water change(partial).

Good luck!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #4 
labloverl

Thanks for the reponses!

What I mean when I say that the filter has not been coming on right away is that there is no sound at all. Normally, I can hear it sucking up water to refill itself. But lately when I've plugged it back in, there is no sound at all. I believe MSG answered this question on another thread, so I probably need to make sure nothing is clogged.

The tank is cycled.

Thanks again!
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote