Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #1 
BettaPHiSH

Need some help with my betta.

Im searching for answers, and was hoping for some help/assistance/advice. I've read through some threads, but just figured, I should post my own thread.

I've had this beta for almost a year now. I have him in a small (quart) bowl, and I try to do changes once a week. I normally use API betta water conditioner about 12 drops. The past few months his fins seem to have been deteriorating. It may have been because I waited too long between changes, but I keep up and try to maintain it pretty routinely.

So yesterday, someone at my local pet-store recommended that I used betta fix. I bought it, did a compete water change, added betta water conditioner and "betta fix" to new water while keeping fish in a small cup of the old water. I dumped him back in the new water and that is when I found this site and read a number of post saying that I should stay away from "betta fix" altogether.

I went and bought stress guard + and some aquarium salt since that seems to be the answer i got after reading the threads. Stress guard is supposed to act as a water conditioner and a healing agent, so I figured that was the way to go.

How much stress guard is required in a quart sized bowl.
it says 5ml/10 gallons?

The betta water conditioner i have says 2.5ml/gallon. ( i always use 12 drops/quart).

And also how much salt should I use, if any at all for a quart?(1/2 tspn/gallon = how much in term of a quart. a few granules?)

Thanks for the help
BettaPHiSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

stress quard: if half a ml = 1 gallon, dose accordingly
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #3 
lelei

In a qt size bowl, which is too small to house a betta would need to be changed at least 2-3x a week..so you will want to at least get him in a 2 gal tank, try a Kritter keeper they work great for bettas as tanks..but also you did not mention the temperature of the bowl, do you have a thermometer to see what the temp is..very important for a betta to have a heated bowl, temp flucuations can be dangerous, should be at least 78d

In any case you will need to so a Aquarium Salt treatment for 3 days with 50-75 % water changes daily..replacing the salt as you go..this would help until you upgrade his living conditions..Good luck~ keep us posted
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 
lelei

Yes, btw..I would not use the Bettafix..sometimes those meds are more a problem than a solution..heater is advised and a thermometer to watch for temp changes..
Old 07-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #5 
lelei

for the salt treatment, I would use about 1/4tsp, are you treating in the same bowl?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 
lelei

Also anytime you do a 100% water change, and you need to accliminate your betta back into the water, meaning a lil at a time, so he wont be shocked, dumping is bad, let him adjust slowly to new water and make sure its the same temp:)
Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #7 
BettaPHiSH

I realize that the bowl is too small and do want to upgrade to a least a gallon.
Should I take him out of the water with the bettafix in it right now? I just did it yesterday, and I don't want to stress him out any more.

I'm bad with math and conversions. How much stress coat is needed in a quart sized bowl to condition the water and to help him heal?

how many drops???

and how much salt?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #8 
BettaPHiSH

Thanks for the help Lelei, I really appreciate it.

I was going to do the salt treatment in the same bowl, should I not. Is it ok to use both stress coat and salt simultaneously?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #9 
katrina89

well theres four quarts in a gallon... so if its half a ml to a gallon... i'd say u should go to walmart and get a 2 gallon glass bowl for like 5 bucks and make the conversions easier on urself
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #10 
katrina89

then u can give one ml
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote