Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #11 
lelei

It is, I did that for a rescue I took in, sounds like your lil guy has fin rot, and salt and stress coat work well together, if you have something else to treat him in, if not just keep in the bowl, but do the water changes at 75% daily for 2-3 days, and on the 3rd do a full water change, take the salt and the S/C and mix in with the new water so the salt granuals dissolve a lil, wait a few minutes like 15 minutes to set..and add a few drops at a time to the current water in the bowl, keep doing it that way, so you wont stress him by taking him out..add a very lil at a time, and watch to see how he does..as long as the water temp is not cold..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #12 
lelei

I used a 1.75 gal Kritter Keeper as a Hospital tank, and works great:) I would invest in one, so you have on hand..for such an emergency..they are also like 5-7$ Petco is 8$ I beleive.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #13 
Enkil

Sounds like it's fin damage due to an ammonia build up. With such a small bowl, water should be changed much more frequently.

I know you can find cheap 1 gallon or bigger bowls/tanks at Walmart and sometimes thrift stores. Larger kritter keepers usually don't cost much either.

I would definitely recommend getting him out of the bettafix.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #14 
lelei

What you can do is premix in a Gallon water jug, and keep on hand, that way you have perfect measurements, and ready for use..
Old 07-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #15 
BettaPHiSH

OK,

So I found this cool glass bowl, but its a little wide at the top. Is that bad??? I've heard bettas like to jump.

I got a measuring cup and it holds about 3.5-3.75 quarts, just under a gallon.

stress coat + says 5mL/10Gal. So we figured 1mL/2Gal. So therefore 1/2mL/Gal?

Is this the dosage to be used for conditioning only? Meaning, should stress coat be used in higher dosages in order to both condition and help the healing process?

Thanks
BettaPHiSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #16 
BettaPHiSH

is it too much stress to jump from a quart sized bowl to a gallon too quickly???
Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #17 
BettaPHiSH

I just moved him into a 3.5 quart bowl, and he seems to be much happier.
I added just under 1mL of stress coat. I was told to use a higher dosage if I'm using it to both condition and heal the fish. I also added about 10 granules of aquarium salt. Is this correct?

I used to do water changes once a week when he was in the quart size bowl, which I understand was too infrequent. Now that he is in a bowl nearly four times the size, Is changing the water once a week going to be acceptable?

Thanks again for your help guys, and taking the time to answer these questions.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #18 
lelei

I would still do 50% w/c schedule 2x a week and 1 100% weekly if the tank does not have a filter, is the tank size a gallon or more? your saying 3.5qt??
Old 07-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #19 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaPHiSH View Post
is it too much stress to jump from a quart sized bowl to a gallon too quickly???
You will need to accliminate your fishy..to any size tank, for the adjustment to be correct, testing the temperature, and making sure the water is the same in the tank that your taking the fish from, and putting the fish in ..Do you have a heater in the tank, and a thermometer to test for temp? this is the most important part of the process..to make sure he does not get temp shock..
Old 07-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #20 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaPHiSH View Post
OK,

So I found this cool glass bowl, but its a little wide at the top. Is that bad??? I've heard bettas like to jump.

I got a measuring cup and it holds about 3.5-3.75 quarts, just under a gallon.

stress coat + says 5mL/10Gal. So we figured 1mL/2Gal. So therefore 1/2mL/Gal?

Is this the dosage to be used for conditioning only? Meaning, should stress coat be used in higher dosages in order to both condition and help the healing process?

Thanks
Yes, betta's do like to jump, you do need something for the top, you do not want to risk him jumping out, especially if the top is wide, not a good idea..sorry..