Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #1 
lvandert

Getting a new boy!

I'm hopefully going to get this new boy I saw at the store today. He looked sick, like SBD although instead of an "s" his tail was curved up from his head. like a j. I'm hoping he's still there due to the issue at hand, but he was the most beautiful shade of blue with a yellow butterfly! I thought I wasn't allowed to bring home a new fish but my bf says he doesn't care because I've lost one recently and Patrick doesn't look too hot. If I do get him I'll post the pictures here. Here's hoping! I'm off the the store
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #2 
lilyrazen

He sounds gorgeous! I hope you get him!
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #3 
lvandert

Well I got him and he's slowly acclimating to his hospital tank. Upon deeper observation I think it might be a deformity, although he does have a bit of an "s" to him from the top view. I was very pleased to see clean water in all of the cups including his. When I talked to the lady she said she had her eye on his because of the weird way he was swimming so I guess she must changed the water. I felt kinda happy about that. His name is Grubby after our school mascot, our school colors are blue and yellow. lol. Here's the pictures of the little guy. He's highly malnourished on top of things :( What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #4 
CharStarr

His colouring is GORGEOUS! He looks really tiny though. He's really lucky to have found a great owner like you who will take great care of him. In the first picture the top of his head looks abit worrisome but he seems okay.
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 
lvandert

oh thats just the dragon scaling not fully covering his little head. He is super tiny and skinny. I felt horrible for him there, he was the one in the worst shape. The others looked fully grown and in not bad shape. I knew they would be fine there but this guy probably wouldn't have made it to a home where they knew what they were doing. I'm hoping his colors get good a vibrant here. My Dizzy was in similar situation. I'll post before and after pics. I'm hoping Grubby will do the same thing
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #6 
fleetfish

I think he's just malnourished. What a pretty boy though. He's going to be absolutely stunning when he's healthy :)
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I think someone either on this forum or another had a betta with a spine deformity like that (the 'S' shape) and it was actually caused by malnutrition if I recall correctly.

He may straighten up given care and proper food.

Poor little thing looks very pathetic in his current state. Can't see how they can be allowed to get like that.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 
LaLaLeyla

Aww poor baby! What petstore did you get him from if i might ask?
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 
lvandert

oh its not the "s" i'm worried about. his body bends up just behind the head. It's kinda hard to see I'll try to get a better picture. If you look closely the stress lines dip down, they should be straight :/

I got him from petsmart, they had the 2 bucks off deal going...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #10 
lvandert

ok here are some clearer pictures. You can clearly see what I'm talking about here. His tail end also likes to float up on him. it's why I kinda thought he might have a touch of SBD.
Attached Images