Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 
vlnr2

question! red stripes

I just recently got my female betta, Sonatina, on Sunday. Her picture doesn't show it, but she's more rainbow, with the green, blue, and red throughout her body and her fins.

She's been doing well, except I noticed that she's got red marks somewhat along the side of her gills. I'm slightly worried because having had a male last fall/winter, I know that red around the gills isn't a good sign, but on Tini I noticed that it doesn't run all along her gills, just the side, and she has similar stripes between the gills and her eyes. I also noticed her belly is looking slightly more swollen than what might be normal. I can't seem to get a good picture, but is this something to be worried about?

Oh, and in case its needed, she's in a 1 gallon tank (I know--too small, but I'm getting a new one as soon as I can afford it) with a filter, water temp is currently around 83, the water conditioner I use is Tetra BettaSafe, and I feed her Wardley Betta pellets.

Help?

Last edited by vlnr2; 07-17-2012 at 07:23 PM.
vlnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 
Fabian

The red stripes you were talking about is a sign she can be bred now.The swollen belly is maybe the eggs.Don't be alarmed,the female can absorb the eggs.
My females always have red stripes.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female betta, red gills