Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #1 
CharStarr

Worried about Female Bettas...

So two of my mom's female bettas Patsy and Delfina are starting to worry me, they are both each in separate one gallon tanks for now and when I feed them their pellets they start to eat them and then spit them out and sometimes repeat this process two or three times. I haven't seen them eat a whole pellet fully yet. I'm not sure what to do, help?
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharStarr View Post
So two of my mom's female bettas Patsy and Delfina are starting to worry me, they are both each in separate one gallon tanks for now and when I feed them their pellets they start to eat them and then spit them out and sometimes repeat this process two or three times. I haven't seen them eat a whole pellet fully yet. I'm not sure what to do, help?
I had this same thing happen with Buddy and Bella...sometimes the pellet is just too big, so I think they try and eat it in bites instead of all at once. When I changed to the Omega One Buffet pellets they both gobbled them right up, they are much smaller pellets.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 
Kenny G

I agree with Bettanewbie60. This is perfectly normal when the pellets are to big and hard for their small mouths. They will bite it and spit it out many times until they can eat it.

You can do one of 2 things, have your mom buy micropellets going forward or do like I used to do and break/cut them into smaller pieces so the betta's can digest them.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #4 
CharStarr

Thanks guys, the thing is these pellets are micro sized so I guess I'll have to crumble them up for them.
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote