Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #11 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I'm not going to say what you "should" have but I will say that your tank is not big enough to support another tank mate.
Thanks Zergy for backing my point!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #12 
Made2party

Angry listen.to.me.

hey people, I dont know about your betta/bettas, but MY betta is PERFECTLY happy in HIS tank. The tank looks smaller in the pic than it actually is, and it`s pretty big as a matter of fact. So people need to stop hatin! I know that not all of you were posting rude things, and to the people that didn`t, im sorry you have to see this all because of a couple of rude people.
And I think i will get a GHOST SHRIMP or 2.
Made2party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E 1gal is fine to keep a long fin male long term, however, the wall hanging type tank can be more of a challenge to maintain water temp......

Its best to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range.....

You may or may not need a heater, but you do need a thermometer to monitor tank temp and temp of the replacement water used for water changes....

As far as tank mates....shrimp and/or snails will work in a 1gal along with the Betta provided that you make the needed water changes.....

In 1gal unfiltered-water changes of twice weekly....1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #14 
MyRainbowBettaFish

I am TRULY sorry.. but IMO, your betta wont be happy.

I am glad YOU are happy with your "future" shrimp. Good luck with your future ghost shrimp, i am sorry i could not help you with this issue. I wish you the best

Last edited by MyRainbowBettaFish; 07-20-2012 at 07:12 PM.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #15 
Sprinkles55

If you get another tank mate, make sure they have a place to hide so they feel comfortable as well. Do monitor them well, and do maintain your daily water changes. I've heard many stories of ghost shrimp being eaten, so I recommend a nerite snail; their bioload is quite small and they have a shell if your betta chooses to harass it. You MUST keep up on the water changes or the ammonia will spike and hurt your fish and your new tank mate. I also suggest investing in a bigger tank, but that's truly up to you. I'm sure the other users were not meaning to be rude, they sincerely just want to help you care for your fish. That's what a forum is about, to give out advice or opinions.

I say to invest in a bigger thank because I was once in your shoes; I had my betta in a 1.5 gallon bowl and recently bought him a 5 gallon. He has never swam so much, flared, or been so energetic since. He was energetic before in his 1.5, but nothing compared to his new home. Anyways, I wish you luck. Have a nice night!
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #16 
Alcemistnv

Oh dear, it's that dreaded tank D:

I think it's best to go get another tank and then worry about a tankmate...

But you can keep a betta safe and happy in there as OFL said.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #17 
Made2party

Thanks Sprinkles555 i was gonna get a different tank but i didnt know they made them and i read some reviews and most said it was great so my parents got it for me i will eventually get a bigger tank
Made2party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #18 
Luimeril

that tank's less than a gallon, and really isn't that great for bettas. the open top can lead to him jumping out. because your old one didn't, doesn't mean one won't. x: i had a female who jumped from her bowl one day, out of the blue, during a water change. never jumped before. just decided one day to.

i can't say 'that tank is too small!!!!!1111', because i DO keep a few of mine in one gallon tanks. but, i make sure the water stays warm, which bettas DO need(because they're tropical fish).

that tanks is just BARELY big enough for one betta, and can NOT support ANYTHING else. if you want to get him some tankmates, you'll need a 5 gallon for JUST him and a snail, or a 10 gallon or bigger if you want to add some fish, like neon tetras or cory catfish. nothing else is going to be good in that small of a tank. it LOOKS big for him, but you have to factor in how much the tankmate and betta poop. x: the ammonia produced by anything else WILL make your betta sick.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #19 
JennybugJennifer

i wouldnt suggest getting anything else until you can upgrade, and when i got shrimp my boy thought it was swimming desert so i had to take it out. the snail i had did fine with the betta but they do poop alot
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #20 
Tikibirds

I would say a mystery snail would be better as they won't reproduce unless you have a Male and female but they poop alot. If you really want to have a snail and a betta, you should have at least 3 gallons with a small filter. The reason I say to upgrade is simply because mystery snails - THEY POOP ALOT. I put mine in a 5 gallon without a filter and even then they water got really dirty fast. A small filter with help with water movement and collect some of the debris caused by the snail and betta. Also, I noticed without a filter the water starts to smell funky. A filter that uses a carbon cartridge will help with the stench.

I keep my fish in everything from a 1 gallon up to a 20 gallon. They are seem happier with more space. However, as long as you keep up with the water changes - all should be ok.

on a side note: colder water slows their metablosim and I think that is why people who keep their bettas in .5 gallon unheated bowls have fish that live longer but I can pretty much guarantee the fish was NOT happy.

EDITED to add:
If money is an issue and you really want a snail with a betta - you can easily and cheaply get a storage bin from walmart for like $5. I keep my trapdoor snail army in a 15ish gallon container that I got for $7 and I have a red CT betta in a 5 or so gallon one. Heaters won't melt the plastic which is good. but for filters, you are kinda limited. I got a tetra whisper for the snails because as I said earlier, THEY ARE POOP MACHINES and the water without a filter would stink up my room. Most of the others hang on the back but the top of most storage bins is too thick but the tetra whisper internal filters come with suction cups.

shrimp aren't as messy as a snail but the betta may think the shrimp is a snack. I think most people with shrimp have moss in their tanks?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-20-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote