Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #1 
ChibiShishou

Talking Betta Proofing your Cat or Cat Proofing your Betta?

As Im sure all of us here know about cats is that sometimes they just love little Bettas a bit too much. So I was just wondering how you guys have betta/cat proofed your cats/aquariums? Im currently doing battle with my sisters half feral feline who just ADORES fish (she once fished my mothers old betta out and we found them both on the floor fish was still alive and lived for awhile thank goodness((see below for an image of the perpetrator! beware she is fluffy but dangerous do not attempt to capture!!!)))

Anywho, I have an aquarium lid for one of my tanks and a makeshift craft mesh lid on my other. But I feel so mean chasing the poor cat away when she wants to just watch the fish. Ive tried training her to not put her paws into the water et cetera but you cant really train a cat unless they want to...

SO-Do you guys betta proof your cat or cat proof your bettas???
Attached Images

ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #2 
tpocicat

All my tanks have lids, so if one of my cats want to watch my fish, it's OK. Personally the only time I chase my cats away is when they try to drink from the filter!
I really don't have any way you can keep the cat away from the fish, sorry.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #3 
ZergyMonster

The best way to get a cat to stop doing things to get a can of compressed air (used for cleaning computer accessories) and spray it towards them when they do something wrong. They will then associate the spray with their actions and to avoid it they will stop.

These air containers will last for a very long time and they work on just about every cat. I've even had it work for my brother's Rottweiler when she was a puppy.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #4 
xShainax

My cats leave them alone
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #5 
Seki

My friend has two Maine Coons and they ADORE sitting and watching the fish in her aquarium. One of them is too stupid to realize he could get up there to where the fish are, but the other one has been a tiny bit of a problem. She fixed it by putting her aquarium in a shelf where there is a removable shelf above it that leaves only about an inch of room between the bottom of the shelf and the top of the aquarium. When she needs to clean the tank, feed the fish, etc. she just removes the shelf, but otherwise, her fishy friends are protected from the diabloical Mr. Antoine. LOL
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #6 
lilyrazen

My Maine coon mix is a brat about bettas. She USED to pretend they didn't exist but she watches Cicero like a hawk. I just made her a bed next to the table the tank is on where she can sit and watch.

My grandma's old cat, who died a month or so ago, used to sit on top of my ten gallon and look over the edge, and in that case I just snapped my fingers at her and she ran off.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #7 
toad

I don't currently have any cats inside my house (I have a couple outside that have adopted me, and they can't come in because the pup will eat them), but years ago, when I had turtles, I found a kitten in my backyard. The kitten, Creepy, used to crawl inside the turtle tank and sit on the sunning stone, and hang out with the turtles. He would touch their shells, but he never hurt them. Not that I recommend this as a safe behavior! But, when I was younger I thought it was pretty cute.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #8 
starrlamia

my kitty leaves them alone, even though he is a prolific hunter his only interest in the fish tank is to try and drink from the filter :S
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Is there any way you can prevent the cat from entering the room with the fish? Or move the fish to a room that can be barricaded? My cats have never bothered my tanks, but I do know if they did, I would just close the door to my fishroom.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
I don't currently have any cats inside my house (I have a couple outside that have adopted me, and they can't come in because the pup will eat them), but years ago, when I had turtles, I found a kitten in my backyard. The kitten, Creepy, used to crawl inside the turtle tank and sit on the sunning stone, and hang out with the turtles. He would touch their shells, but he never hurt them. Not that I recommend this as a safe behavior! But, when I was younger I thought it was pretty cute.
LOLZ
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote