Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #1 
jenjen182

Thumbs down Awful Betta Care

Anyone else know any places where bettas get awful care? I went to one of my local petshops today and I saw two bettas, both floating in dirty fishbowls, one dead and the other looking like it wanted to escape immediately. I wanted to take him home sooo bad but I don't want to support petstores... . I feel so bad for them. This store wasn't a Petco/Petsmart, but I'm not going to give the name.
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #2 
Made2party

WAL-MART!!!!!!! dont buy any fish from there it is nasty!!!!
Made2party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #3 
Made2party

Made2party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #4 
jenjen182

Wow, so true Made2Party! Walmart takes no care of their fish. Poor little betta looks like he's crying in the cup...

I always buy my bettas from Petco and they take care of them there and they always live for more than 6 years!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #5 
Sprinkles55

My local petco is terrible in regards of care for their bettas...and their store in general. The store is very dirty, and I went in a couple days ago...I saw two dead bettas. It was very hard to hold back my frustration and walk out I think the next time I'm in there I might just burst.

On the other hand...my Pet Smart is wonderful in taking care of them. They also get a wide variety of shipments.
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #6 
jenjen182

Huh, interesting... my Petsmart is always the one with the problem! Funny...

Have either of you saved any bettas from, well, extinction (AKA bad care at LPS?)? I've only owned 1 betta in my lifetime, and am going to adopt another one in 2 weeks. I'm not going to try to rescue any time soon, because, as being a beginner, I don't want to hurt the betta even more!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #7 
ktlelia

My LPS is...usually not my first choice or any choice. The owner has skills for bird keeping...and that's it. She doesn't take great care for her bettas and her staff is a bunch of teenage girls that I've never seen actually work. Plus that place is so expensive.
My local wal-mart does not sell live animals.
Then there is this Qualheims/True Value here...which 99% has sick/dying animals. My boyfriend made a comment that if an animal survives that store, he/she is going to be mean, tough, and hard to kill.
In order for me to find a healthy betta, or attempt to, I have to travel to the city which is a 30 mintue drive from my home. The petsmart there usually sucks, but that's where I got my Lychee Berry. My boyfriend's cousin owns a petshop in that city I've yet to go into, but according to the family he's aquatic/fish crazy so he probably takes good care of them, but who knows.
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #8 
kellyyoungmoney

my petco takes good care of theirs, my walmart does an ok job too. its the petsmart in my area that does the terrible job.
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #9 
jenjen182

Interesting- I'm very disappointed with the care some petstores give to these fish! They are living creatures, not toys, that deserve to be loved and well-taken care of. I sometimes feel awful when I go to my local Petco to look at the bettas and this little girl picks up a pretty one and says, "Mommy, I want the fishy!" They go home with a tiny betta kit, the container about the size of a sprite can, flakes, and a sharp plastic plant. NO heater, NO water conditioner, NO filter, NO research. Wow. At least the people on the Betta Fish Forums know what they are doing before they purchase!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #10 
BettaBuddy123

Both Petco and Petsmart in my area are guilty of selling bloated, sick, and dying fish. Such a disgrace. I wonder why they don't at least REMOVE the dead ones, but it seems like they don't even notice. I'll be moving soon and have already found that there is a great LFS that gets glowing reviews. I can't wait to escape the big box stores!
BettaBuddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote