Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #1 
Ghost Handler

Question about bloat or swim bladder disorder

Can the symptoms of this (these) issues clear up suddenly? I came home today and found my betta in his usual corner. When he realized I was there he came out as usual, but I noticed that he seemed to be struggling to swim, and had to really work to swim toward the bottom of the tank. If he stopped he floated very quickly to the surface. While I was searching this forum for some information about what to do, about five minutes, he seemed to get suddenly better. He's now swimming happily around his tank, and seems to be his neutrally bouyant self.

Can fish burp or fart? I assume that bloat is similar to gas in mammals, and this trapped gas is what causes the fish difficulty. Any information about this would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ghost Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #2 
Seki

I have been struggling with this with my fish for nearly a week. I don't know if yours is having the same issue mine was having, but with Sheik, the bloat came and went on and off and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason. he would clear up and be fine, then several hours later, I'd find him floating and unable to get down to the bottom again. But then, the next morning, he'd be fine... for a few hours, until he was bloated and floating again. Mind you, he was not fed this whole time, so... I have no idea what was happening.

I sure hope your fish doesn't have whatever mine has, because Sheik looks like he's probably not going to make it. :( Hoping your little guy is feeling fantastic really soon!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

SBD is caused by pressure on the swim bladder. the most common causes are overfeeding and constipation.

Fast for a day or two until it's cleared up before feeding or use epsom salt if it is persistent.

As for being able to clear relatively quickly, it's possible your boy just had a big poop to push out.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #4 
Ghost Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
I have been struggling with this with my fish for nearly a week. I don't know if yours is having the same issue mine was having, but with Sheik, the bloat came and went on and off and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason. he would clear up and be fine, then several hours later, I'd find him floating and unable to get down to the bottom again. But then, the next morning, he'd be fine... for a few hours, until he was bloated and floating again. Mind you, he was not fed this whole time, so... I have no idea what was happening.

I sure hope your fish doesn't have whatever mine has, because Sheik looks like he's probably not going to make it. :( Hoping your little guy is feeling fantastic really soon!
Hi Seki, hope your guy is doing better. 'Gur seems to have completely recovered with no recurrance. I wonder if there isn't something else wrong, because even when 'Gur was having difficulty swimming he would chase food to the bottom of the tank. That's really when I was able to see that he had lost his neutral bouancy. He would pop back to the surface like a cork. Have you tried the Epsom Salts? I used it, but because my guy recovered so quickly I can't say if if worked, but it seems to be an oft recommended treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
SBD is caused by pressure on the swim bladder. the most common causes are overfeeding and constipation.

Fast for a day or two until it's cleared up before feeding or use epsom salt if it is persistent.

As for being able to clear relatively quickly, it's possible your boy just had a big poop to push out.
Pataflafa, thanks for the reply. I just figured that he had the equivalant of a fart. I guess a big poop would do the same. The recovery was really fast. One minute he's struggling, the next he's swimming around as if nothing had happened.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Sometimes my boys will have sbd for an hour or two and the next time I look at them they're swimming around like nothing happened.

Flaring, swimming around some more, and fasting are the best ways to encourage pooping.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 
Seki

Hey Ghost Handler, glad your boy is doing well again! Yeah, I tried Epsom salt treatment. He got better for a little while, but he passed away last night. Anyway, it doesn't sound like your boy has what mine had, which is a good thing for sure! One thing you might try, if you notice this again, is see if there is any pattern involved that relates it to feeding. Always a thought. :)

Glad he's back to normal, though!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #7 
Ghost Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Hey Ghost Handler, glad your boy is doing well again! Yeah, I tried Epsom salt treatment. He got better for a little while, but he passed away last night. Anyway, it doesn't sound like your boy has what mine had, which is a good thing for sure! One thing you might try, if you notice this again, is see if there is any pattern involved that relates it to feeding. Always a thought. :)

Glad he's back to normal, though!
Seki, So sorry to hear about your fella. I know it seems silly, but 'Gur has already become such a strong presence in the apartment. I know they're only fish, but still it always makes me a bit sad when a loved creature dies.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #8 
Ghost Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Sometimes my boys will have sbd for an hour or two and the next time I look at them they're swimming around like nothing happened.

Flaring, swimming around some more, and fasting are the best ways to encourage pooping.
Good to know Pataflafla. I must admit I got a little panicy when I noticed things weren't right. Thanks for the help.