Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #11 
BlueRose7

lvandert, as I, too, have a bloated (female) betta, I might try what you suggested, since fasting her for a day didn't work. Is that salt amount okay for a larger female betta community, too?
(Sorry to ask in your thread, klslone.)
BlueRose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #12 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose7 View Post
lvandert, as I, too, have a bloated (female) betta, I might try what you suggested, since fasting her for a day didn't work. Is that salt amount okay for a larger female betta community, too?
(Sorry to ask in your thread, klslone.)
I wouldn't in a community. I would get her issolated. If your sure she's not over eating and if she's acting fine she's probably just eggy. unfortunately there might be a boy in the community tank if she's eggy. If she's with other bettas I would make sure they are all girls. If so, and like I said she's swimming/eating/acting fine, then she saw a reflection of something that reminded her of a boy and egged up. They will either pass of be reabsorbed in a few days
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #13 
klslone

I haven't been able to get a good picture yet. It might be where I tried after dark. I will try again tomorrow afternoon when it is lighter outside. But the main physical difference that I see in him is the fins on his side are turning white on the side closest to his body. I may have seen one gold spot on him but I couldn't tell for sure. It's hard to inspect him since I have to remove his hideout in order to see him at all and when he chooses a spot to sit in he doesn't move a lot for me to see all of him very well.

I did notice something however in the tank. Here in the past couple of months I have had a hard time with brown algae in the tank but I didn't think it would hurt them so I didn't worry about it as much. I would scrub it when I cleaned the tank but I didn't panic. Then yesterday I noticed what I think was mold in the tank. They were just several tiny green dots. I wiped them off but I was wondering if this could have something to do with it.
klslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #14 
lvandert

The green spots are just a different strand of algae. I would definitely try to get a picture. It could be multiple things ranging from good to bad. It could be something as simple as a color change or it could be a fungus. There also might be something else I'm not thinking of at the moment.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #15 
klslone

I finally managed to get some good pictures. In one of them I zoomed in and it looked to me like he was pineconing but I'm not sure. It is attached so you can see what you think.

The tank is at my grandma's house next door while I am home for the summer and she told me that he comes to the top every morning and then goes back down into his log. So he can still swim just fine, he just doesn't do it a lot.

I did a 50% water change tonight and added some epsom salt. So we will see what that does for him.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #16 
teeneythebetta

OH NO! he is pineconing! :(
youve defenitely got dropsy going on there.

Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #17 
klslone

I put 7 tsp. of Epsom salt in his tank when I cleaned it last night. I put a little less than 2 tsp. per gallon since I only did a 50% WC, some of the aquarium salt would have still been in the tank. Today when I do a 100% WC I will add the full dose of epsom salt.

The heater I have in the tank doesn't let me pick the temperature I want it to be, it keeps it at a constant 80-82 degree range. Is that okay? I can put just a little bit of warmer water in the tank when I clean it until it is at 84.

As for the medications, the only one I know for sure that I have access to where I live is Maracyn II.

I can try to look for the Jungle Anti-Parasite Pellets but I will probably have to order them online.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #18 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by klslone View Post
I put 7 tsp. of Epsom salt in his tank when I cleaned it last night. I put a little less than 2 tsp. per gallon since I only did a 50% WC, some of the aquarium salt would have still been in the tank. Today when I do a 100% WC I will add the full dose of epsom salt.

The heater I have in the tank doesn't let me pick the temperature I want it to be, it keeps it at a constant 80-82 degree range. Is that okay? I can put just a little bit of warmer water in the tank when I clean it until it is at 84.

As for the medications, the only one I know for sure that I have access to where I live is Maracyn II.

I can try to look for the Jungle Anti-Parasite Pellets but I will probably have to order them online.
You don't absolutely HAVE to have it at 84, it just helps more.
Maracyn II only is okay, it's better than nothing.

Sending wishings you and your fishy's way! :(
Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #19 
klslone

I bought the Maracyn II today. I am going to start the treatment immediately. The box says it can be used with Coppersafe, Maracide, Maracyn, or Maroxy. My pet store has all of these. Should I use one of them along with the Maracyn II as well? They also had Maracyn Plus, but I wasn't sure if I should get that or not. What do you think?

Should I go ahead and buy the medicated food with Metronidazole? Or should I wait to see how he responds?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #20 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by klslone View Post
I bought the Maracyn II today. I am going to start the treatment immediately. The box says it can be used with Coppersafe, Maracide, Maracyn, or Maroxy. My pet store has all of these. Should I use one of them along with the Maracyn II as well? They also had Maracyn Plus, but I wasn't sure if I should get that or not. What do you think?

Should I go ahead and buy the medicated food with Metronidazole? Or should I wait to see how he responds?
Sorry I can't answer about the other medications, hopefully someone else will come along that can tell you what would be best.

I would definitely order the food. The food can really help because If you can get him to eat it, it will treat the parasites straight on. If you can't get him to eat the food (or the food you have at the moment) try soaking it In garlic juice. This is completely safe & bettas are more likely to eat because of the appetizing smell and taste.