Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #21 
klslone

While looking for Metro-Meds I stumbled upon Metronidazole Powder. With this, instead of the fish eating it, you put it in the water. I don't know if anyone has any experience with this or not or if it would be as effective but I thought I would ask anyway since his appetite has gone done dramatically. But either way, I will order it tonight and try to get it here quickly.

Thanks for all your help by the way! :)
klslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #22 
Tikibirds

if he isn't eating and you are trying to treat for internal parasites then yeah, the powder is better then the medicated fish food as I have yet to find a betta that will eat the parasite pellets. Garlic is a good idea but it may not work. I would go with the powder that way it will enter his system..via his gills I do believe.

What are you trying to treat? Maracyn 2 is for gram negative bacterial infections and I am pretty sure metrodizinal is an anti parasite med.

Dropsy/pineconning isn't really a disease on its own - I do beleive the pineconning is usually the result of excess fluid in the organs someplace - hece the reason why epsom salt is recommeded as it will draw out the fluid..or at least that is my understanding. Internal bacterial infections also can cause pineconning.

try PMing Sakura8 or oldfishlady. I'm sure one of them can give you awsome advice on how to procede from here.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-31-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #23 
Silverfang

Sakura has more experience with medications, OFL tends to stick with natural remedies.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #24 
Sakura8

Metronidazole does work for some anaerobic bacterial infections, but usually only if it is given internally via medicated food.

Hi kslone and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your betta is so sick. :(

There could be a few things at work here. What I'm thinking is the sudden change in pH/hardness may have shocked him, causing his immune system to crash a bit and allowing him to be come sick (this is why we tend to get the flu during college finals, 'cause we're so stressed).

Probably the best medication to treat bacterial infectins is also the hardest to find but if you can find it, Seachem Kanaplex is the best. It is effective both as a medicated feed and as a solution so it gets into the system no matter what. Your next best choice would probably be API Furan-2 for treating an internal bacterial infection.

What is the dosage of epsom salts right now? I would try to gradually bump that up to 3 tsps per gallon if possible. If you have access to Indian Almond leaves or naturally dried and clean oak leaves, you can add those into the tank to add tannins.

If he is having difficulty rising to the surface to breathe, you can lower the water level as much as necessary to make it easier.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #25 
klslone

The dosage of the epsom salt I used is 1.5 tsp per gallon. Should I discontinue the Maracyn 2 or should I complete the course, at least until the other meds get here? I found the Seachem Kanaplex and I am ordering it now. When I get the Kanaplex should I add it to the tank and try to feed it to him both, or should I just choose one method and stick to it? I am worried about whether I could get him to eat or not because his appetite seems very low.

I will lower the water level tomorrow. Someone recommended 100% daily water changes, should I keep that up?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #26 
Sakura8

Hi klslone,

Go ahead and discontinue the Maracyn 2. In all honesty, it's not a super effective medication any more because many bacteria have formed resistances to it. When you get the Kanaplex, you can try to feed it but if you don't think he'll eat, even if it's soaked in garlic, it's probably best to go straight to putting it into the tank.

Is he being treated in the 5gal? If so, take out any carbon you may have in your filter before adding medication. For Kanaplex, treating in a 5gal is easy as it is 1 measure per 5gal. You can also continue using epsom salt while treating with Kanaplex.

Good luck with the little guy and keep us updated on how he's doing.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #27 
klslone

I checked on him just a few minutes ago and he looks better compared to what he has been. He was sitting outside of his log which he usually doesn't do. I don't know if the epsom salt or the Maracyn has made a small difference or not but it makes me happy to see that he is holding his own. I don't know exactly how long he has been pineconed, but I know he has been lethargic for quite some time now. The kanaplex is on its way so hopefully he will hang on until it gets here.

At this point, even if he doesn't get any better, I will be content with him not getting any worse.

And I took the carbon filter out yesterday when I added the Maracyn 2. Is it safe to go ahead and up the epsom salt to 3 tsp per gallon since he is already in 1.5 tsp. per gallon or would that be too big of an increase at once?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #28 
Sakura8

If you want to gradually increase the epsom by increments you can. I think OFL says to increase it gradually over an hour or something like that? It probably would be better to do it gradually since he's already been a bit shocked from the pH changes.

Good luck and I'll be rooting for the little guy. Keep us updated.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #29 
klslone

I have added some more epsom salt to the tank and I also took out about 50% of the water so he doesn't have to swim as much to get to the top. He looks like he has perked up some. I just got done working with his tank and when I came up to it he came out of his log. He also sits in other places except for the log so he isn't hiding as much as he has been. I put some food in the tank and he ate it pretty well. He even saw one piece float by his log and he chased it down and ate it. So he is still eating which I hope is a good thing.

I noticed something new on him though. On the very edge of his dorsal fin I noticed something that resembles a small piece of white fuzz. I don't know if it is some kind of fungus that is growing on him or if maybe a piece of slime or something like that. I noticed when I looked at the log that it had what looked like some slime on it before I cleaned it off so maybe he just rubbed up against it when he was swimming and it clung to him. I don't know for sure but I will keep a check on it.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #30 
Sakura8

The white piece of fuzz on the edge of his fin is most likely some excess slime coat that he's producing to help him fight off his illness. Epsom salt does stimulate the production of slime coat to a small degree, too.

That's great he's eating! There's always hope when they eat. It's when they won't that I start to worry.