Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta clamps when there's light?

627 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bettanewbie60 
#1 ·
My female's fins always seem clamped. But I've noticed something. Everytime I turn of the light her fins are magically full again. It's really odd.

My lamp is kind of close to her tank so I'm guessing it stresses her out to the point where her fins clamp up?

( Right now she has a cloth over her tank and she seems really happy swimming around now that she's out of the light. x'D )

#2 ·
Well someone who is a lot more experienced than me might have different ideas, but I say that if she seems happier with less light.. go with that!

#3 ·
Most fish we keep don't like a lot of direct light. They come from shaded waters either by overhanging trees of by lots of floating plants. Being under direct light is like being out in the open and vulnerable to predators. Unless you have live plants in the tank, it will be better for you to keep the light off. Or get some floating plants like water sprite, frogbit, or duckweed.

#4 ·
My first two bettas never seemed to mind light. When Buddy was in his 1g bowl I had a green regular light next to him, shut it off at night. Now he has LED lights on his 5g, but I only switch them on when I want to watch him. My newest betta is in a 5.5g and I had the same green light next to his tank...he seems always agitated. At first I thought it was just stress from being new, but when I removed the light he calmed right down. I think it was creating too much reflection inside his tank too. Either way, I only use natural light now, unless I turn on Buddy's LEDs so I can see all three fish. They are all so different!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.