Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #1 
cjayBetta

Angry EXPLOSION! - Help!!

So here's the scoop....

I bought an amazon sword about 2-3 months ago and for the first little while it was great... growing nice ect.... But then the snails started.... In my 10g its fine there are not a lot of them so usually when i find one i just take it out and get rid of it. BUT in my 5 gallon they have EXPLODED in population for some reason or another... Ive already tried taking the tank apart and washing it all out.. this obviously didnt work since i swear those stupid things could survive a NUKE! lol - I know they are not harmful to my betta, this is not my cosern I just think they are ugly and I do not want them infesting my tank... How the F do I get rid of these ugly little hitchhikers!
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #2 
lvandert

kill kill kill. lol go on a snail killing spree. If you can, completely take everything out of the tank (gravel, filter, heater, fish) and salt the heck out of the water in the tank. You'll need to get a new filter cartridge but the salt should do it
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #3 
BettaAngel13

Step Up the force or collect the snail if you can and sell them earn some extra cash
BettaAngel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #4 
MSG

Those snails would be eaten one by one by my female bettas. I wish I had some of your snails to distract them from chasing each other.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #5 
Fermin

Are they pond snails or Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS)? MTS are actually beneficial because they burrow into your substrate and keep it stirred up.

Anyway, if you have pond snails, you can stick a piece of cucumber in your tank overnight, and the next morning it should be covered in snails munching on it so you can just fish it out and throw the cucumber + snails away. Repeat as necessary.

Puffers and some loaches eat snails, but your 5G+betta is not the appropriate home for those fish, so definitely go the cucumber route.

Good luck!
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #6 
bettalover2000

Or use a jar of sorts, stick a leaf of lettuce in, & overnight it should collect them. Then throw it away. I have never tried this & don't even know if I repeated correctly, though.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #7 
Meggie6347

I've heard the lettuce thing working like betta over said, but I tried it once, didn't work...

If you can, get some assassin snails :)
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #8 
battered

Snail populations (for pond snails, ramshorn, bladder, MTS) generally correlate to the amount of available food in the tank. Cut back on feeding and you should see a decrease in the snail population (they are self limiting). In the meanwhile, if you have pond, bladder, or ramshorn, just squish and kill them as you see them. Don't bother squishing MTS because their shells are extremely tough.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #9 
cjayBetta

Ill take a pic of them go show you guys but ill try the cucumber thing tonight.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #10 
cjayBetta

Cant find the camera but their shells r brown and have like a swrill shape to thd tip