Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #1 
PaintingPintos

My betta has a gold belly that looks like velvet!?!

Ok....I'm getting a bit paranoid about my fish. My goldfish sent me off the walls going crazy with panic every time I think they're sick, and the same with my betta.
Recently I have been checking Omelette every day for velvet. I have a strong flashlight and he doesn't mind when I shine it on him for inspection. Recently I realized that even though he's blue with a dark head, his belly and the area around his pelvic find have a fine gold dusting.
His tank temperature is normally around 80 degrees due to the very hot weather we've been having. I haven't had to use his heater all summer.
I can't get any pictures today of this strange coloring. Whenever I plug my camera into this computer, it goes berserk and everything crashes because the computer is so slow and has so many pictures on it already (2000+). My mom sells furniture, so that's the reason for all the pics, and today I'll help her figure out what pictures to delete so I can hopefully post some here.

Also the webcam on this thing is horrible, and using it would mean that the fish would look like a dark blob...

Sooooo, is this coloring normal? My fish has never shown any symptoms of velvet.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 
lvandert

sometimes they have a gold belly, velvet would be a dusting all over the body. But we can't see what your seeing so I can't say. Has he been acting sick lately?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

I was paranoid about my betta having velvet too. He had a "fine-gold dust" appearance on his sides and fins. I discovered, though, that it was just his iridescent coloring. If he's not acting ill and continues to have an appetite, I wouldn't be concerned. Has he always had this coloring?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #4 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
I was paranoid about my betta having velvet too. He had a "fine-gold dust" appearance on his sides and fins. I discovered, though, that it was just his iridescent coloring. If he's not acting ill and continues to have an appetite, I wouldn't be concerned. Has he always had this coloring?
He's got a HUGE appetite...when he's not trying to eat his poop (they look like pellets!) he's chasing around his ghost shrimp pal (who puts up a surprisingly good defense). I noticed the coloring maybe 2 weeks ago....at first I thought it was velvet, with no symptoms, then I started getting worried for no reason at all.
It DOES look like a little gold dusting though.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
He's got a HUGE appetite...when he's not trying to eat his poop (they look like pellets!) he's chasing around his ghost shrimp pal (who puts up a surprisingly good defense). I noticed the coloring maybe 2 weeks ago....at first I thought it was velvet, with no symptoms, then I started getting worried for no reason at all.
It DOES look like a little gold dusting though.
He sounds like he acts very healthy then!! :)
How long have you had him?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #6 
pinkcupid765

Does it look kinda like this? It's Dropsy if it does :(
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote