Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 
mahi

Does my betta look ok?

This is chilly.
It seems I have been feeding him too much. Does he look overweight or bloated?

Also, there are some black spots on his tail fins. Is that fin rot? Should I treat him? How?
(Sorry, my pictures are not the best, but I tried to capture it as good as I can)

Click here for an higher resolution image.

He is in a cycled baby biorb. Since I wanted to maintain good water quality I had been changing 50% of the water each week. Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates(!) are always at zero when I measure. The plants aren't doing too well. I had been battling diatomes, but I finally bought this silica removing filter thing and the diatomes have stopped growing.
I'm not sure what I should do. Should I change more water or less? I would like to change less, because I would like to accumulate some more Nitrates for my plants, but is that bad for my betta?
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #2 
kellyyoungmoney

i know sometimes red bettas get a darker looking outline on their fins, one of my red girls had it but it didnt turn out to be fin rot. just watch it closely and see what happens.
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

Your fish doesn't look bloated or overweight to me... but keep in mind that bettas don't need a whole lot of food; their stomach is about the size of one of their eyes. If you're concerned, you can go without feeding him for a day, but he looks fine. :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #4 
mahi

Thanks! I will keep a close look on his tail and just feed him less from now on.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #5 
lelei

Hello and Welcome, I would first like to know how big is that tank, for any tank under 2 gal, without filter, you would need to do 2-3 partial water changes a week, and 1 100% weekly, no matter what, and what are you feeding him, that would also depend on how much..and what type of food, and do you have a heater in your tank?

do you know what the temp is..you need a thermometer to watch for temp changes as this will effect how your betta eats, and overall health will be..

so right now I don't think it's fin rot, but I would change the water more often, not less to ensure it does not become fin rot.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #6 
mahi

The tank is 4 gallon and has a filter. I did a fish less cycle before I put my betta in. The recommendations were to change 15% of water every week. I have been changing 50%, because I wanted to keep the water very clean for the betta.

The problem is that my plants are not growing. I would like to change a bit less to allow some nitrates to build up to feed my plants. But of course I don't want to do that at the expense of my bettas health.

There's a heater in there. The temperature has been at 80 degrees pretty steadily.

I'm feeding Hikari betta bio gold pellets. I had been feeding 8 pellets per day, but was advised that's too much. That's why I'm reducing it to 5 pellets.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #7 
lelei

I am actually feeding about the same amount, same type of food to my lil guys, and I have not experienced any problems, they are micro tiny..so I do 3 in the morn, and 3 at night, and sometimes, 2 before bed..I get at home after work round 5ish..so I feed again around 12 hrs later, from the morning feeding, and it seems like a great schedule, on Sunday's I feed only 1 pellet each..If you have a cycled and filtered tank, then the 15% should be ok, and sounds like all is well, and stable so keep doing it that way, and then do your 50%, you shouldn't need full tank change for a month..with a cycled and filtered tank.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote