Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 
stephanier

Ghost Shrimp?

I have a 2.5 gallon tank with one betta and I am thinking about adding 1 or 2 ghost shrimp. I was just wondering what other's experiences have been with ghost shrimps and bettas as tankmates. I would like to have ghost shrimp for cleaning purposes, and also because I think they're kinda cool. Also, I'm not sure if I should add only one ghost shrimp or go for 2, based on the size of my tank, so any input there would also be appreciated.
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #2 
copperarabian

You could have 2 ghost shrimp(even 3). They have a very small bioload. Some bettas will kill them but not always, I've had great experiences with bettas and shrimp together.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #3 
EATree

I've heard really great things about ghost shrimp so I got 4 for my 5 gal tank to go with my betta. I was worried about him eating or nipping on them so I got the biggest ones they had (1-1.5in).

Sadly at least two are aggressive toward the betta and I watched them swim after the betta and use their pincers to nip his tail. So they are now in time out and will probably get another tank or something for their own.

The other two are ok so far but I'll be watching them. They do do a great job of eating anything around the tank, but I haven't really seen a decrease in algae.

They are really neat to watch though!
EATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #4 
Made2party

i would go with 2 ghost shrimp to a) be safe and b) in case your betta eats one but that is just me
Made2party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 
Lost Eventide

Quote:
Originally Posted by EATree View Post
I've heard really great things about ghost shrimp so I got 4 for my 5 gal tank to go with my betta. I was worried about him eating or nipping on them so I got the biggest ones they had (1-1.5in).

Sadly at least two are aggressive toward the betta and I watched them swim after the betta and use their pincers to nip his tail. So they are now in time out and will probably get another tank or something for their own.

The other two are ok so far but I'll be watching them. They do do a great job of eating anything around the tank, but I haven't really seen a decrease in algae.

They are really neat to watch though!
EATree, I was reading a couple of other posts concerning ghost shrimp, and from what I understand ghost shrimp are not supposed to be aggressive nor do they have pincers that could do much real damage? You may want to check that you actually have true ghost shrimp, because from what I understand if they are going after your betta they may be a different species that resembles them. I believe some other people have mentioned macrobrachium shrimp? Apparently they are sometimes mislabeled as ghost shrimp.

Of course, if anyone is more knowledgeable about this, they are probably better apt to give some insight as I'm just regurgitating what I have read, but from what I understand ghost shrimp are supposed to be docile scavengers.
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #6 
EATree

@Lost Eventide:

You know, I think you may be right about the macrobrachium shrimp. The two aggressives are in another tank right now all on their lonesome, but they should be alright. I'll keep an eye on them. If they get any bigger then I'll bet they are not, in fact, ghost shrimp. (they are already 1.5in, the max for ghost shrimp).
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #7 
stephanier

I'm glad to hear that ghost shrimp aren't supposed to be aggressive because that was really deterring me from getting some for my tank. I am kind of concerned that my betta will eat them, though. Since I've only had my betta a week and he's still not eating regularly (he's only eaten a pellet or two since I got him), I'll most likely wait until he's more settled in before getting the shrimp to avoid too much stress.
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #8 
EATree

From what I've read, most betta's have their own personalities. Some will not tolerate tank mates while others can be indifferent or even curious/friendly.

As for him not eating, I guess they can take a few days or so to get used to another food (a different food than what they fed at the pet store). The pellets may be too big or hard for him. If they are big, try softening them in water (tank water) before feeding them. I believe it can take several days to a week for a betta to accept a new food. But don't worry too much. The bettas "can" go without food for a couple weeks. They are predators so they are used to feast and famine. (It's still good to feed them regularly to keep them health and happy, but they can survive.)

If he is not interested at all when you put food into the tank I would suggest you check the water to see if there is any reason for him to be stressed. I believe that if they are too stressed they will not eat.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #9 
battered

I recently had a strange experience with my betta + ghost shrimps. For 6+ months, the betta ignored the ghost shrimps I had in there. I had cherry shrimp in there for a while that the betta did attack once (so they were promptly relocated). However, it seemed to me that the ghost shrimp were too big for the betta to attack. This past week, however, while one of the ghost shrimp was molting, my betta decided to nip at it and tore a hole in the ghost shrimp. He proceeded to slowly eat the rest of the shrimp and by the end of the day, the shrimp was gone (picked off by others in the tanks like cories). This was when the ghost shrimp was big too - 1.5+ inches. So you never know.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #10 
WDW Donna

My daughter just bought two ghost shrimp as tankmates for her 2 female VTs. One female is in a 5gal and the other will be going into her new 2.5gal. Right now both shrimp are in the 5gal tank. Lily doesn't seem to be bothering much with them. I was watching her swim up to one shrimp and look at it, but that's all.
Does anyone know how fast they breed? If we keep two or more in a tank will we end up with an explosion of shrimp?
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote