Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #11 
kfryman

I say, you get a center piece fish and build off that. So maybe an angel pair, male and female, and a large school of neons and rummynose tetras. It is a good because the neons should school tightly and rummynose already school tightly. With these fish along with the correct plants, you could do an amazon biotope. Though you may need to special order some plants.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #12 
GrayL

Oscars. Do it.
GrayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:12 AM   #13 
Gizmothefreaky

I am still string to decide what I want with it lol! There are quite a few options that are good. But most of all I am waiting until I move out into my own place to get the tank started. Lol! Don't worry, once I get started in the next month or so, you guys will be the first to know. X3
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I say, you get a center piece fish and build off that. So maybe an angel pair, male and female, and a large school of neons and rummynose tetras. It is a good because the neons should school tightly and rummynose already school tightly. With these fish along with the correct plants, you could do an amazon biotope. Though you may need to special order some plants.
The tetra you listed are far too small to live with angels. Besides a breeding pair of cichlids is a very aggressive sight to see. It's easy to forget that they're related to all those convicts and jack dempsys and oscars.
If the tank is at least 18" tall Giz, you could do 6 angels but you have to be careful in choosing tank mates, tetra like bleeding hearts and similar shaped fish are good choices.
Angelfish can reach 10" in height, they are ginourmous beasts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #15 
Twilight Storm

Just a warning on the "oscars". you may want to go with only 1 oscar. And you will need one heck of a filtration system for the 1. - There's some good oscar forums and websites out there. I can send you the links if you want, if you decide to go that way, or you can google. Not sure if a corner tank would be the best for them anyway at adult size.

Not sure your daughter would really love to see an oscar eating either, she doesn't look the type :D (although who knows lol) Beautiful tank and stand btw! - as to what you should do with it, as in the title of the post, You should send it to me! :D

Seriously though, you could also consider wild bettas, (if you like them) A mixed community or you seem to be leaning to cichlids. TONS of pretty ones out there that's for sure. Puffers are really quite neat too.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #16 
SpookyTooth

I could only dream of a tank and stand like that! What a fantastic space saver, seriously!

As for stocking... frogs?! FROGS! African dwarfs! Er.

Have you considered killifish at all? With the right species and research you may find your daughter appreciates them too as the males are down right astounding to look at! Keeping a continuous stock might be a bit of a challenge though as some species are rather short lived.

... Or... dare I say it... WILD BETTAS?! Can wild bettas live in a tank that size?
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #17 
syds mom

I could vision Discus fish in it.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #18 
Bettanewbie60

Awesome tank..and sweet daughter! I would go want to do a salt water aquarium, or fresh with lots of different fish!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #19 
AquaKai

I'm with Twilight Storm~ a wild betta pair and some other fish to accompany them! If I were to re-do my 55g I'd do that:) But mine has diamond tetras (lots of them) and 2 angelfish with some panda cories and peppered cories, oh and a lone ablino bristlenose pleco. But that's my tank, and I'm hoping to get Nannacara anamola (2 of them), since the angels don't seem to want to pair (which I'm happy they don't).
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #20 
Meggie6347

I have a fifty gallon that I am about to set up as well...

For mine I will be planting it (high tech) and the fish will be a male betta, lots and lots of little shrimpies and a large group of schooling fish (don't know what kind yet....but you could do like Congo tetra, dwarf neon rainbow fish, neon tetra, Rummynose tetra, columbian tetra, emperor tetra, harlequins, thread fin rainbow fish, penguin tetra, Oryzias woworae...)

I love peaceful schooling communities

Let us know what you decide!

Good luck!
Meg
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote