Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #1 
AdrianneB89

Is my Betta Kokino going to live happy

I have a red Veil Tail Betta Named Kokino, I got him on my Birthday July 2nd of this year. I didnt know much about keeping fish so at first I had him in a one gallon tank with undergravel heater.

Now I have him in a spherical 1.75-1.9 gallon bowl with undergravel heater, thermometer to monitor temp, and a Small world penn-plax under water filter. I have some pennywort and an union plant growing in there with him and a small silk plant. I want to know if he will be happy. I do not have the money to change my set up right now, but I want to make sure I am doing everything I can.

He was at walmart and looked pittiful, I got him home and his gill was inflamed so I treated him with malifax for 1 week and now he is better, he makes bubble nests and eats well, and is very active. oh and I do partial water changes every 2-3 days so far.

Thank you
AdrianneB89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #2 
lelei

Hello and Welcome, It's a beautiful thing to see a fishy thrive with proper care, I am glad you found this forum, and are doing all that you can to ensure a happy life for your lil guy..Would love to see some pix of him, sounds very pretty..As long as his water temp is 78d..or beetween 77-79 your good, and water changes are done as much as possible, around 2-3x times a week for partial, and 1 100% weekly a good schedule for a smaller tank/bowl, and have a thermometer to watch for temp changes, but try to stay as consistent as possible, as they can get sick quickly in colder water..

other than that sounds like he's happy, and with real plants for hiding and sleeping, and resting he will be fine, if there is room, for a hiding cave as well, I would add that..and he'll be fine:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #3 
AdrianneB89

Thank you :) I will post some pictures soon.. he is such a hansom fella too :)

I was wondering is it normal for him to nip at my hands if I am trying to do something in his tank.. he didnt start doing it untill I started feeding him bloodworms off the tip of a spoon or my finger.. he seems to like jumping for them ...

:)
Old 07-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #4 
lelei

Oh boy do they ever, love to jump, and can get pretty high, and they will nip at your arm, finger anything that you put in the tank..hahaha..until they get used to you, but even then, some just have that Playful mood, and like a puppy or kitten, they go for whatever is moving, my Sammy used to do it a lot, still loves to jump especially when I put a pellet on my finger, I taught him that..but with my 2nd fishy, Sapphire, he is crazy,,

he jumps for anything..and when I put my hand in goes right for it, and he latches on, I accidentally swung him, because he made me jump, and I pulled back, I swear I thought he was a gonner, but no..he landed right back in the water..

I was sooo scared tho, cuz they tend to hang on..even if I feed from my finger I now just let him hang there, until he drops..lol..if i pull back..he wont let go..they all have different personalities..they are soo funny..you will see..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #5 
AdrianneB89

lol that is so funny. . . Kokino (which is latin for red) seems to be really happy whenever I come over to my desk... I have another tank/bowl thats on the other side of the desk that has 6 Endler Guppies. They have a wisper filter and airstone Pennywort and 2 onion plants and two small Plastic plants to hide in. They seem really happy too. But I have read alot of things online about how it is horrible to keep that many fish .. But I have good filtration and I do water changes. they also have a heater and Endler's only get to about 1" ... they are all under half an inch right now. :) I am hoping to one day have a bigger community tank maybe 29G with Guppies.. :)

Was wondering also is a 1 gallon planted bowl ok for a Betta fry?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, it's OK. But you mean baby Betta, right? Like, old enough to be shipped and still coloring up? If so, it's OK like I said. Just make sure that the temperature is 80F-82F and the water is kept very clean!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #7 
AdrianneB89

Yes Baby betta.. they have alot of them at Petco in a town not to far from me and I was thinking about getting one.. they are about 1/3 the size of my Kokino but they have color.. and maybe they are .5" to 1" long..
Old 07-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello and your Betta sounds adorable love his name ! My Betta came from Walmart also, my daughter got him there as a gift for Mothers Day. He was not a baby but very young I believe and I was lucky he was in good shape when she gave him to me. I believe your Betta will be happy in his size bowl and having some live plants is awesome ! Just keep up with the water changes and he will fine until you want to upgrade to something larger. My Betta lived in half a gallon for a week till I got the 5 gallon tank I ordered on line. Best of Wishes for you and your adorable boy !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Oh! Those babies at Petco? Sure, they're OK. Just remember to do as I say about the temperature and remember to get a baby that has color.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote