Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #11 
lvandert

I see fuzzies. Thats a fungal infection. Get him on some fungal medicine asap.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #12 
LittleWatty

Where do you see fuzzies? o.O I'll have to wait for another hour before my Petco opens, if what you see isn't the white spot on his side.

I also noticed that he's got a slightly rounded belly, which I didn't notice yesterday. Since he's not eating, I doubt its from any sort of over feeding. Maybe constipation?
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #13 
lvandert

no on his fins. The white "fuzzy" layer of stuff on his fins in the fungus. I can clearly see it on the last picture
Old 07-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #14 
LittleWatty

If its up at the top of his dorsal fin, that's just bubbles. But, with this morning's water change, I'll start dosing with AQ salt, just in case that's not it. I just want to make doubly sure of what's going on with him, so that's why I'm trying to see what you see.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #15 
lvandert

No its on his tail, and anal fin. It's all over him. There is a layer of fuzzy on his fins. It looks like a white outline on your last pic. The white bits on his tail are the fungus. You can wait for another person if you want to but their going to tell you the same thing.

I would recommend a "cure all" for parasites and fungal growths. aq salt and extra stress coat along with daily water changes will also do the trick it will just take longer.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #16 
LittleWatty

Well, I just want him to get better. I'm doing a water change with AQ salt now. Can I double up with the meds and the AQ salt?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #17 
lvandert

Follow the directions on the box/bottle. Generally you can have aq salt and medications int he same tank. If not it will say otherwise on one of the bottles.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #18 
LittleWatty

Ok, thanks. Got the aquarium salt (1/4 tsp at the moment. Will up to 1/2 tsp tomorrow) in the tank dissolving now, he's floating in his little cup at the moment. Lowered the temp to about 76F, as recommended by the disease stickies. Removed all plants except for the Java fern, and will be going to get some meds in about 20 min. I hope that's all he needs. I've lost one fish this week, I don't need to lose another >.< Got any suggestions for brands? I've read that the "-fix" medications, like "melafix" and "bettafix" are bad for betta's in the long run, because of one of their ingredients.

EDIT: While he is still floating in his cup, he's started to poop. Its not a solid brown (like the color of a pellet), instead its more of a translucent color with a slight yellow-ish tan tint to it. I'd get a picture, but he's being a butt right now. Will keep trying.

Last edited by LittleWatty; 07-22-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #19 
LittleWatty

Ok, here's those pictures. They're the best I can do, but it shows the color I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #20 
lvandert

tetra makes a fungus guard to clear up fugal infections and parasites. Mardel Maracyn one and two will work and API makes a fungus cure.

If you feel the need to take a more natural route then get API stress coat and dose that to "repair damaged fins" and then dose your aq salt to "repair damaged fins". This along with water changes every other day will also do the trick. This method will take a bit longer but after day 7 there should be an improvement. If there isn't one by day 9 stop and get an antibiotic mentioned above.