Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #1 
914joe

Noob need some help

Hi i picked up a betta a couple of days ago, i currently have him in a bowl that originally had some fake plant in it .I think it holds about a gallon or a little less.I just placed an order for a petco bookshelf 6.6 gallon aquarium to put him in ,i want to try to keep him alive until my tank arrives witch could take 6 to 8 days .would it be okay to remove half the water from the bowl and replace with new water, and when should i do this i have had him for 2 days in this bowl.
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914joe View Post
Hi i picked up a betta a couple of days ago, i currently have him in a bowl that originally had some fake plant in it .I think it holds about a gallon or a little less.I just placed an order for a petco bookshelf 6.6 gallon aquarium to put him in ,i want to try to keep him alive until my tank arrives witch could take 6 to 8 days .would it be okay to remove half the water from the bowl and replace with new water, and when should i do this i have had him for 2 days in this bowl.
Yes. I would do 50% water changes maybe every other day. Since the bowl is small, it will get dirty quickly.
Once you get your fish into his new home, I would suggest 25% water changes once a week (I have a 5 gal tank and that's what I do). Good luck! :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes he will be fine as long as you do the water changes. Thats the same thing I did when I got my Betta as a gift he came with a half a gallon bowl so I ordered his tank on line and took a week to get here. So be sure to do water changes and try and get the temp of the new water the same or close as possible to the new water you put in his bowl. I used a turkey baster when I did water changes and that worked perfect.

Did you order and heater ? He will need one of those too because Bettas need warm water to live in, 78 to 80 degrees is what they need the temp of their water to be. They also like to have something to hide in like a cave decoration or some people use a cup just be sure it doesnt have any soap on it what so ever as soap can kill fish ! Turn the cup sideways in his tank or like I said a cave decoration is nice to have but make sure the holes in it are big enough so he doesnt get trapped in there. Good luck and best wishes for you and your new little guy !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #4 
914joe

Thanks for the advice,i have a question about when i add the new water , i currently do not have a thermometer. I have new water with conditioner in a bottle in the same room that the fish bowl is in ,is it okay to just add the water like this or should i remove him .when i first got the betta he was in a small container ,i put the container in the bowl for about a half hour as i was told to do from the pet store as not to shock him .Anyway here is a pic of the little fighter ,sorry poor quality camera phone.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #5 
LinkLover

You can keep him in there if you're only doing a 50% change, just watch where he is at all times. And if the water temperature is the same as in the tank, you can slowly pour it right in the tank, with him still inside. And as 914joe said he'll need a heater once you get that aquarium to keep him between 78 and 80 degrees. He is super pretty! What a lucky fish to have such a caring owner. :)
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #6 
Kenny G

The pet store was correct in giving advice on how to acclimate your betta to the new water. After hearing so many pet-stores giving bad advice its good to hear one actually gave good advice. Best of luck to you and your new betta.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #7 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914joe View Post
Thanks for the advice,i have a question about when i add the new water , i currently do not have a thermometer. I have new water with conditioner in a bottle in the same room that the fish bowl is in ,is it okay to just add the water like this or should i remove him
I always put the water in a pitcher and left it out for at least 12 hours til I felt it got to room temperature (this was when I didn't have a thermometer either). You can either set out spring water or tap water (if you're using tap, be sure to measure out and add the correct amount of conditioner to the pitcher). Once you feel the water is the same temperature of that in the fish bowl (literally, you can put a finger in each and judge if the temperature is close), you can pour the new water into the bowl after taking out a portion of the old water.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #8 
914joe

Thanks for all the help really appreciate it,i have decided to wait another day or 2 to change the water because i took a sample with me today to petco, the guy there put some strip in it and he said it was fine. I also picked up a Thermometer and some gravel to have ready for my new tank when it arrives .Everyone here has suggested getting a heater,i found a tetra heater that has a set temp of 78 would this be okay.Also i have read something about setting up a new aquarium something about cycling ,can somebody here give me some advice on the easiest and best way to do this ,so i can get this guy in his new home without killing him.It said something about using hardy inexpensive fish to get the tank started ,i plan to keep only my betta in the tank.I will post some pics of my new tank and the progress as i go along setting it up,one again thank's for all the advice .
Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #9 
LinkLover

Here is a really great thread about cycling a tank, it should be helpful:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

I was SO confused when I first heard about cycling, but reading all the things people had written made it much clearer. And once you understand it, it's super easy!
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #10 
914joe

Thanks for the link linklover great read very helpful for me,i have a question if i were to remove the gravel that is currently the fish bowl with the betta ,and put it into the tank would this help the process along or is this a bad idea.