Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #1 
jeremywadejunior

Question Road Trip Betta

Hi all, I will be attending college this fall and I want to bring my betta with me (the dorms have a restriction on tank sizes so I'm going to buy him a new one that is the maximum size possible, which is 5 gallons). However, my school is an 8 hour drive away. I wanted to know how everyone's experiences have been transporting their bettas/fish for an extended period of time by car... Do you think he'll be stressed/ how can I make him more comfortable? All input is appreciated!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 
magnum

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=35196

A really great resource on how to prepare your betta for long trips! I've never transported a betta before, but I'm pretty sure this should help!
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #3 
puppyrjjkm

Hello there! I transported 5 bettas 2000 mi by car when we moved in May. It was about 10 hrs/day. I put them in 1/2 gal 'tanks' filled half way to prevent splashing. Also place a towel around the small tank or cup the betta is in as they are less stressed in a dark environment. If you drain the betta's tank then place the cup/tank they are in just in case of incidental splashes. Also make sure to keep the car temperature constant of possible with AC if it's going to be a warm drive. Other than that, it's pretty simple. I'll be taking my boys with me to college as well this fall but mine is only 2 hrs away, and they're great roadtrippers!!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #4 
LizzyP

That link is for shipping bettas, OP wants on how to bring them in the car.

If you tank is glass, I suggest draining it completely so it doesn't break and keeping your betta in the cup he/she came in or a container like it (maybe a Tupperware or something) wrap a sock/towel around so it's dark and keep the water warm, someone suggested those hand warmers that you get in the winter time, but now I think it'll be warm enough (without the AC on full blast) without one. Hope this helps :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=35196

A really great resource on how to prepare your betta for long trips! I've never transported a betta before, but I'm pretty sure this should help!
Thank you for the resource!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #6 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
Hello there! I transported 5 bettas 2000 mi by car when we moved in May. It was about 10 hrs/day. I put them in 1/2 gal 'tanks' filled half way to prevent splashing. Also place a towel around the small tank or cup the betta is in as they are less stressed in a dark environment. If you drain the betta's tank then place the cup/tank they are in just in case of incidental splashes. Also make sure to keep the car temperature constant of possible with AC if it's going to be a warm drive. Other than that, it's pretty simple. I'll be taking my boys with me to college as well this fall but mine is only 2 hrs away, and they're great roadtrippers!!
Thank you for the tips! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is making my fish ride in the car for 8+ hours ;)
Old 07-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #7 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
That link is for shipping bettas, OP wants on how to bring them in the car.

If you tank is glass, I suggest draining it completely so it doesn't break and keeping your betta in the cup he/she came in or a container like it (maybe a Tupperware or something) wrap a sock/towel around so it's dark and keep the water warm, someone suggested those hand warmers that you get in the winter time, but now I think it'll be warm enough (without the AC on full blast) without one. Hope this helps :)
Thank you much! This has definitely helped :)
Old 07-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #8 
mamanemeth1

Hey! My betta did SO well with our trip we took today. Be careful with stopping and turning cause they get quite frightened.
mamanemeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #9 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanemeth1 View Post
Hey! My betta did SO well with our trip we took today. Be careful with stopping and turning cause they get quite frightened.
Oh that's great to hear! :) I'll drive carefully too!