Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #1 
BettaBuddy123

Changing water conditioners?

Hi folks!

I've been using this cheap water conditioner for my boy for about three months. It's working fine and very inexpensive, but it comes in a tiny little bottle, which I run through in less than a month. I'm concerned because the conditioner seems to be unique to petco and I will be moving soon where there is none so I won't be able to run out and get a new bottle of it. Looks like a change is in order. So here's the question:

What do you all recommend as a conditioner? Any troubles with certain brands?

Also:

Is it okay to change the conditioner on him all at once or will that compromise his health?

While we're at it:

Do you all use other things? I like to throw in aquarium salts as an electrolyte and to keep his gills in order, but are there other good things to use?

Thanks!
BettaBuddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

It's always better to aclimate your fish to new water, no matter if it's with the same conditioner or a new one.
I use Prime which is very innexpensive because all you need is one drop per galon of water.
As far as additivies, there's no need for them. I do use one drop of Aquari-sol per galon of water as recommended by a long time breeder and I have been using it for over 2 years.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #3 
battered

I'd recommend Prime as well. It's probably cheaper than most other conditioners (I haven't actually calculatred it) because it's so concentrated.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #4 
Kenny G

I use Aqueon BettaBowl Plus water conditioner. You can get the 4.0 fl oz bottle for 4.24 You can always do your research online and see which stores will give you the best bang for your buck. Once you find one you like you can always buy it now and take it with you.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #5 
BettaBuddy123

Great! Thanks so much, guys!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #6 
Enkil

I avoid conditioners that are breed specific. I don't like them.
I use Prime by Seachem in all my tanks including spawn tanks and grow outs. I love this stuff because, as mentioned, it is inexpensive considering how long it lasts you. I bought a small bottle of it several months ago and still am using the same bottle despite my many tanks!

Also, I don't add anything else, especially not AQ on a regular basis. I do sometimes add stress coat.
If my little finned babies seem to be stressing over something or have eaten tail (I have a couple HMs that do this) I add Indian Almond Leaves to their tanks.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #7 
craiger75

Take it easy on the aquarium salt if you have live plants. I do like that stuff tho. Supposedly relieves stress (great after a water change) and seems to clarify the water.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #8 
battered

Definitely DO NOT add aquarium salt on a regular basis. It should ONLY be used when treating/medicating for healing up. Using it on a regular basis is bad for the health of your betta, despite what some people say.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #9 
BettaBuddy123

Oh man, now I'm confused. I started using the aquarium salts to heal up some scratches he came with from the store and improve his overall health. I toss in a few every water change. Should I stop? What can it do to him?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #10 
craiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBuddy123 View Post
Oh man, now I'm confused. I started using the aquarium salts to heal up some scratches he came with from the store and improve his overall health. I toss in a few every water change. Should I stop? What can it do to him?
Not sure, but they are freshwater fish and that stuff builds up. Less is more with this stuff anyway, if he doesn't need it anymore why bother? One less thing to hassle with/wry about.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote