Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #21 
LinkLover

Yup, there for sure is such a thing as too tall for them. I couldn't imagine getting around with all that fluff all over me!
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #22 
xShainax

Smallest one is a 1 gallon tank
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

I had a single female betta living in a 45 gallon tank for a couple weeks before her tank mates arrived. I would find her swimming at all levels of the tank and even with a strong filter current she never had any issues. The tank was around 18 inches from top to bottom.

I think HM males can go into larger tanks (over 10 gallons) but they do need to build up proper muscle tone first so that their excess finnage isn't constantly dragging them down. I recently purchased a young OHM male, who has been hanging in a tank with a stronger than normal filter current. When I first got him he kept getting sucked back up against the side of his net, but now I find he is able to get around a lot more easily and spends a lot of his time swimming rather than resting. His finnage is quite large in proportion to his body but I have not seen him take a single nip out of it.

While this is obviously not the case for everyone, I have never had a single betta of mine dislike being in a larger tank. This includes everything from VTs to HMs. I have always thought bettas to be quite an active fish once they have enough space to swim about in. Even my imports have been happy when provided with larger accommodations. In fact, I have had more tail biting incidents from my males when kept in smaller tanks than I have with those who have been 'upsized'.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #24 
lilyrazen

I had Vilkas in a 10 alone, and he ate away his ENTIRE cadual fin, but as soon as I divided his tank, he stopped. But you can also say it's because he has a new friend, Brynjolf the little warrior, but I'd say he likes not tugging his fins around as much.

Again, he'd have been better if he was a tag bigger, he's small for a boy.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #25 
sarap

I keep my betta in a 31,5g tank (120l). He's healthy and happy, he's eating well, making nests and exploring the whole tank. I don't think a tank can bee too big, if only it's decorated right. I use a lot of plants and floating plants and moss. I also have coconut caves and big roots.

In Norway experienced people recomend atleast 15,5g (60l) for female bettas, and community tanks. I keep one male CT in a 5g tank, and would love to give him more room. I think that it's important to not have any other fish with the betta in such a small tank, exept maybe snails and shrimps. But, I don't think 5g is too small for a betta. Bettas has different personalities, and I think some of them feel safer in a smaller tank. I would not use anything smaler than a 4g for my bettas. For me the ideal size would be 15g.

I have also kept several male bettas in a 53g. They were not stressed out at all, and I have never had problems with any disease or tail biting.
sarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 AM   #26 
mkayum

My favorite betta, Unicorn has a 5 gallon all to himself. He sometimes explore around for an hour then he'd get tired and go to sleep under the roots of java fern. ( I observed him for a while) Also I plan to add big ghost shrimps and hoping that Unicorn wouldn't eat them lol.

The other four betta's in 4 ways divided 10 gallon tank... they seem okay but I plan to set up other 10 gallon just for two bettas.

I think bettas do best in 5 gallon or bigger. If you have a big tank to give a betta the good life, go for it.
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #27 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

My 90 gallon is 20" tall. I don't know, for a long finned male, 20" seems too tall for me. :/
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #28 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkLover View Post
I know when people say "too big" it's usually those who think they are happy in half gallon cubes, but I actually want to know. If proper the amount of cover/hideys are used, can a tank be too big (uncomfortable/stressful/etc.) for one betta?
My betta Beau was completely stressed in his 5.5 gallon...after two weeks on clamped fins, no eating, and erratic swimming, I put him in a 1g bowl. In two days he started eating, swimming normally, and colored up. I think all bettas are so different in personality etc. It can happen...I have proof.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #29 
staffylover

Mine range from just over 3 gallon to 7 gallon tanks. All have a single male in although I do have a baby bristelnose plec in the 7 gallon who I am thinking of rehoming to a larger tank and 4 vitnamese cardinals. They all have a cave and lots of live plants and moss balls and I have just invested in some betta hammocks and betta logs which have arrived today and will be put in tonight. Each one seems happy in their environment
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #30 
Alcemistnv

Buddha is in a 2 gallon at the moment, and he actually seems to really enjoy it. It's making me wonder if a 5.5 gallon will be enjoyable for him. He only swims in around 1 gallon of the tank. He swims at the top of the tank and only goes to the bottom to sleep, or to hide in his log.

But he's going to have to like the 5.5 gallon because i don't think I can have more than one tank...
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote