Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #341 
twissfish

He's so beautiful. I can't wait for more picture updates.
twissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #342 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Today I went to Petco to get a new filter for Cornelius, his filter stopped working for some reason. Of course I had to look at the bettas and they were in worse shape than usual. TWO dead ones! 2 dead big plakat males, covered in velvet or ich or whatever looks like cotton all over them, and also fin damage, I mean they looked like they had been dead a while because they were covered in rot or disease or both.

I wish someone could tell me how to have more bettas because I currently have 7, would like to give a few more a good home, but I'm not sure if there is a "smarter" way to have many bettas?

Candice, how many do you have?

There is a tiny red veiltail that I think is the longest surviving one at this particular store. His fins are always clamped, and he just looks SO pathetic. There are too many other red veiltails for his odds of getting adopted to be very high. I think I may have to sneak him home some time . .. and hide him from my mom until I get my own apartment again .. .ha ha. Kidding . . maybe.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #343 
MistersMom

you can always start keeping 5 gallons and just divide them in half... or a 6 gallon tank, which ever you would like you know... like... idk how to sneak those in lol, but you could find a way and try!! lol
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #344 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
Today I went to Petco to get a new filter for Cornelius, his filter stopped working for some reason. Of course I had to look at the bettas and they were in worse shape than usual. TWO dead ones! 2 dead big plakat males, covered in velvet or ich or whatever looks like cotton all over them, and also fin damage, I mean they looked like they had been dead a while because they were covered in rot or disease or both.

I wish someone could tell me how to have more bettas because I currently have 7, would like to give a few more a good home, but I'm not sure if there is a "smarter" way to have many bettas?

Candice, how many do you have?

There is a tiny red veiltail that I think is the longest surviving one at this particular store. His fins are always clamped, and he just looks SO pathetic. There are too many other red veiltails for his odds of getting adopted to be very high. I think I may have to sneak him home some time . .. and hide him from my mom until I get my own apartment again .. .ha ha. Kidding . . maybe.
Hey Mursey,

It sure sucks seeing dead fish in cups when you go to Petco or Petsmart. I know there will be nothing we can ever do about it. It makes me sad and I try to help when I can, I would sneak fish in so my sister didn't think I was crazy lol. But now she just knows it's what I do lol.

As of right now I have a female sorority of 8, they all get along just fine. I have 9 males that will stay with me permanently. I have only 1 rescue currently (Heart Breaker). Then I have 2 breeding pairs, and 2 females that will be conditioned for breeding once old enough.

And my boyfriend has 3 males, we love them all and spend a lot of time caring for them all. I am interested in another rescue, I might upgrade Heart Breaker to a 5 gallon and replacing my hospital tank with a new rescue :)
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #345 
dramaqueen
Banned

The more you have the more water changes you have to do. Make sure you have enough room and time and you should be fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #346 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Thanks, people. :)

Candice, WOWsers! You have a lot of them. Then again, the sorority is a good idea- I thought if I had females instead of males (and a little luck with their getting-along skills) I could have one much bigger tank instead of the 6 I have now. but you still have 9 males .. I would love to see how you fit them all in your place. :)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #347 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
Thanks, people. :)

Candice, WOWsers! You have a lot of them. Then again, the sorority is a good idea- I thought if I had females instead of males (and a little luck with their getting-along skills) I could have one much bigger tank instead of the 6 I have now. but you still have 9 males .. I would love to see how you fit them all in your place. :)

I should post pictures of all my setups, I love them!! I love caring for them, it's my therapy lol. I work in a day care at Golds Gym and nanny full time and babysit so by the end of my day I am completely overwhelmed. Once I get to my Betta's I feel much calmer.

But I agree with dramaqueen, as long as you have the time and space go for it. Just know your limits.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #348 
LebronTheBetta

Even if it's so tempting to save them when you can, you're just helping the pet store get even more to suffer. I see it both ways and it's very hard. :(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #349 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Even if it's so tempting to save them when you can, you're just helping the pet store get even more to suffer. I see it both ways and it's very hard. :(
Very true, especially when Petco is on auto-order. Once the numbers go down in come the new shipment :(
Old 08-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #350 
LebronTheBetta

That sucks. If only they took better care. Heart Breaker is freaking beautiful BTW. What type of color is he?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote