Betta Fish Forum banner

Broken heart ( first betta rescue)

91K views 591 replies 137 participants last post by  ANHEL123 
#1 ·
This is the intro to my first Betta rescue, today after work I dropped off at Petsmart "again" just to check out the new shipment in clearer water. They had a ton and in rows. So I took my time going through them and noticed 3 different Betta's, all very young. No more than a month and half old. I decided to take home one of the young Dragon HMPK and give him a better home than his tiny cup. But still I couldn't resist looking at all the rest. I came across a cup in the way back, and when I looked in my jaw dropped past the floor. I didn't have to think twice and I knew I needed to take him home immediately. I walked up to the front and told a lady that this fish was in really bad shape, and it was too young to look like this. I told her if she would discount him and I will take him and get him healthy. She asked the manager and he said I could take him home for free. I was delighted, and so happy to know I get to nurture this sick juvenile Half Moon. I think he may have deformities, or is just extremely underweight. He is also missing most of his fins, he is the worst Betta I have seen in a store and he has a long road ahead of him. If any of you could give me tips or advice for me please feel free.
I got him a 2.5 gallon for now, heater, and some aquarium salt. I am about to set it all up and get him healthy. Thanks for those who read this, my heart just goes out to my little guy. Hope he pulls through.

This is him in his cup right now.

So sad.

My rescue kit for him.

See less See more
#2 ·
Aw, you are a sweet person. I occasionally see some similar . ... in my Petco they have some really cool bettas but the section with the blue or red "more common looking" veiltails always have a bunch of sad saps like this little guy.

I am new to this so I will wait to see what everyone else says. I am also treating one of my guys with fin rot and another new guy with SBD but they are my first "sick" bettas so I am not the best to give you advice!

Hey- I see TWO cups in your rescue kit, who else did you get? :)

#3 ·
Yeah he is in very very poor condition, surprised this little guy is a half moon.
And yes I am guilty of rescuing another young guy. He is a Dragon Half Moon Plakat. no more than a month old. I didn't like seeing them so young in those cups. I'll post pics soon.

#4 ·
Oh my goodness! This reminds me of my first betta rescue! I yelled at the manger ._. I must've looked pretty silly though being that i'm still a teenager… ANYWAYS! I suggest that you don't use a filter if you have one because he may not be strong enough to swim against the current. I had my rescue in a 1 gal. no filter QT till' his fins mostly grew back:)

I suggest that you keep the water temp. a little higher than usual to get his system running. Also, add 1 tsp. of Epsom salt per gallon. That will help with the fin rot, and back problem. I'd feed him those dried bloodworms if you have any:) They'll gobble em' down! Actually, my rescue didn't eat for the first 3 or so days. He just kinda sat and sulked… So if that happens don't worry, just keep trying and take any food that he doesn't eat out!

I really respect people, like you, who rescue these lil' guys! They really don't deserve this kind of treatment! It's wonderful that you're giving him a loving new home!

#7 ·
Actually, my rescue didn't eat for the first 3 or so days. He just kinda sat and sulked… So if that happens don't worry, just keep trying and take any food that he doesn't eat out!
I got a little guy that was in ok condition but he looked kind of pathetic in general, his name is Limoncello and he really acted very sad and lame for quite a while too. Maybe it takes a while to recover. This pic was his temporary home for just a week or so. He just "sat there" in the same spot but now he's much better, so hopefully your guy will recover too, don't give up! :)

#6 ·
Congrats on your first rescue! I remember how exciting mine was, and I'm sure you feel just as great. It's so sad to see him like that though. It's terrible how these fish are treated, and people just think it's ok. Good for you for making a difference!

#8 ·
Congrats on the rescue and the new additions to your betta family :)!

I have no advice to give, for I haven't rescued before...but I wanted to wish you luck and thank you for being such a sweet and caring person. You're probably going to make this fish feel the happiest it's been in a long time!

#9 ·
I want to thank you all for the wonderful praise, but I can't take the credit. Any animal in distress deserves a voice along with good actions. I want to make a difference and and help this little guy who I will name Lucky if he pulls through.

I put him in a 2.5 gallon with a heater kept between 84-85 degrees (correct me if I should change that) I have conditioned the water with Prime and have added aquarium salt. I will not be using a filter for this guy he is having a hard enough time swimming without a current. If there are any additions I can add to helping him please let me know.

He ate some frozen blood worms after I introduced him to his new tank which made me happy to see he had an appetite. And to my surprise he is active, as active as he can be without much fins. Here are a couple pics of him in his new Hospital Tank.

#12 ·
Thanks lilyrazen, I hope he makes it too. He is very tiny, I wish I knew how old but if I were to estimate id say maybe a month old.

Still can't believe this little guy is a HM.. Crazy.

#11 ·
My heart goes out to the little one.

And at the same time, it feels happy that someone like you came along to help. :)

You say he's having trouble swimming? If that's the case, I'd get him a floating betta log or one or two of those leaf betta hammocks and stick them a few inches from the surface. This way, he can rest and not have to put so much effort in to coming to the surface for breath. It may take him a while to use the hammocks, but he will.

#13 ·
Betta hammocks are genius!!! I actually have a couple that I am currently not using at the moment. I'll throw them in there in the morning.

And as for coming along to help it sure does feel good, helping one fish at a time is all it takes.

#14 ·
Oh my god, those photos of him are so cute! And then to see how tiny he is compared to your other betta! I really hope he pulls through!

I like the leaf hammock idea too. My new guy has a bit of swim bladder disorder so I made him some extra hammocks because he was having a hard time, and it really looks like it's helping. He uses all of them and seems to need them at the surface. Whoever thought of those . .. I would love to thank! I think they help weak bettas a lot. Please continue to post pics. :)

#17 ·
I agree the hammocks are awesome!! And I will definitely add some to the tank tomorrow!

And for pictures definitely, I plan to take one every day so when he is healthy I can look at all his progress. I want to name him Lucky if he makes it :)

#16 ·
I just got him no more than 2 hours ago from Petsmart, and this is how he looked in his cup. I am assuming he is emaciated and stressed along with other things Im not aware of. But another reason he swims like that is because he has no fins. I am hoping with the warm water he will regenerate new fin growth and also the weight gain he will fill out to proportion.

#20 ·
Awwww, that is such a great compliment. I think if everybody in the world could start by helping out one person, animal etc.. there would be significant difference in today's society.

Can't help but quote Michael Jackson " Gonna Make A Change "...

#19 ·
Seriously! I am often a bitter jaded person but people like you on this site always make me smile for doing things like this. :) Thanks for giving us a little faith in humanity for once!

#21 ·
Okay, I was curious. He should start getting some clear fin regrowth soon. I wish him the best and can't wait to see what he looks like with fins. He looks like he is going to be a gorgeous fish.

#22 ·
I am excited to see what he will look like also, I am clueless as of now to what color, approximate age and health status.

In a couple days I hope to see a change :)

#24 ·
Red would be a great color for him, I just checked on him and he looks content. He is active and pretty lively, that helps my conscious. Thanks for checking in on him :)

#25 ·
DAY 2 UPDATE:

Lucky is doing great so far, still active as can be swimming around his tank. I fed him frozen brine shrimp this morning and he ate well (Glad he ate). I do see some clear fin regrowth on the edges of his caudal fin so that's good news.

Does anybody have any incite on a feeding schedule for a underweight juvenile HM? I plan to feed him mostly frozen brine shrimp morning and night and every other day a pellet or two. Or can he be fed small amounts more than twice a day seeing as he is still very young and underweight?

#27 ·
I hope he makes it even with the little fins he has he is very cute

Hehe awww this poor little guy grows on ya. He is my cute dorky little man, but watch he may be the prettiest fish out there with a little love, and time. :p

#28 ·
Tannins from oak leaves help darken the water too after OFL told me to use them I swear by em. Also get him on good pelleted food too it will help as its more nutritionally balanced. He is super cute best of luck.

#29 ·
Tannins from oak leaves help darken the water too after OFL told me to use them I swear by em. Also get him on good pelleted food too it will help as its more nutritionally balanced.
Where would I get leaves like that? And yes I will alternate pellets, frozen brine shrimp and crushed up blood worms. Do you know how often I should feed a little guy like this? I am thinking morning and night?

#31 ·
I pick leaves up in forests lol. Preferably dried naturaly. And smaller meals more often is the best like 3-4 times a day.

#32 ·
Ok well I'll have to research that tree in my state, I know I have them here but need locations lol. And that sounds like a good meal plan for this young guy. Thanks for your help.

#33 ·
UPDATED PICTURES DAY 2

Here is Lucky on Day 2, already I have alternated 3 tiny meals today consisting of frozen brine shrimp, dried blood worms, and micro pellets. He ate everything! Im so happy he has an appetite! Also he is swimming straighter and has colored up a lot. I am so happy, it's funny how some warm water, aquarium salt, and some food can do in only a short period of time. Im proud of my little guy.

I can't believe how much color he has gotten, he was so pale yesterday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.