Housing
What size is your tank? 8 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No, live in florida, maintains its own temp. in summer
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? mystery snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? top fin betta bits and freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% weekly unless parameters call for more
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime conditioner and aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I only have a test kit for ammonia and the levels are at 0

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white patch on top of head between eyes and white patch under body between gills, not fuzzy, just patches of missing scales
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? slightly stressed and erratic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning, the day after adding a mystery snail
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, just continuing aquarium salt and did water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, had ammonia poisoning a week ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? probably about a year

So basically, my betta JUST recovered from ammonia poisoning about a week ago and was behaving totally normal. Yesterday I added a mystery snail, when it came out of its shell he displayed his fins at it and followed it around but that was the extent of the aggression. This morning I noticed he had a patch of scales missing off the top of his head between his eyes, and a patch missing from under his chin. One scale was even hanging off still and eventually fell off as well. It's not fuzzy so I ruled out fungus, and the ammonia levels are at 0 so what could it be?

I have a few theories:
Did the snail bring in a disease?
Can snails actually hurt a betta?
Is this a stress reaction to a new tankmate?
Did he bump his head checking out the snail?

Has anyone else experienced these issues after adding a tankmate?
roysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #2 
lvandert

Did you quarantine the snail? if not then it's a possibility that the snail brought something into your tank. Can you post a picture? Pictures speak a thousand words
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #3 
roysmama

I didn't have a small tank so I wasn't able to quarantine it...

I really tried to get a picture as well but it's almost impossible with a round tank and I'm afraid I'm stressing him out more.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #4 
Pucky21811

Yes it looks like the snail brought it in... I just have a one gallon bowl as my qt tank for ten bucks.

While somebody else will be able yo help you with the present diagnosis I also wouldn't suggest AQ salt being used everytime you do a water change. It is a medication used for things like fin rot and like meds we take, Betta can become not only immune to it, but it can do more harm then good.
I'm so sorry this has happened. :/ Good luck with your fishie! Keep us posted and I hope someone else can help you out.
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #5 
roysmama

Thanks, I got a small tank which instead of using for QT i'll now be using as a hospital tank. Wasn't expecting a little snail to be so much trouble, the snail itself showed/shows no sign of disease itself.

I'm certain I'm dealing with something bacterial but since i'm really reluctant about using medication, I'll wait for someone else to come along and help out with a treatment plan...there's so much conflicting info about bacterial treatments.

Tags
scales missing, snail tankmate