Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I heard you can pet them once they get to know you? What about their slime coat?
Just make sure your hands are wet....plus you don't want to over handle them or rub...etc.....Same with nets...always have your nets wet before you catch any fish to avoid injury...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you do that be sure to have shatter proof equipment. They can go wild when chasing food and smash things like heaters which ends badly..
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks OFL and Olympia. I'm learning more things on this Oscar Forum...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #14 
Pilot00

Had three in a 36 gallon tank. Lived more than a decade. They will eat anything smaller than them. I had a school of silver dollars in there and the oscar out grew them. When that happened they had breakfast (literally each morning there was a dollar in the oscars mouth alive with the tail outside the mouth, he was trying to gulp it down) with one dollar each day for 4 days. The fifth survived because it grew larger than their mouths.

Also they love rock environments and will 'decorate' anything not rooted firmly. I have an old airfix Renaissance battleship cut in half and thrown in the aquarium. One of the buggers grabbed it from the prow and moved it one day here, the next day there and so on. Oh and for some reason they dig and munch the gravel and then spit it. One got fungus probably from that.

When they depopulated and rearranged everything inside i tossed a yellow parrot in there. Stayed about 7 years but they were afraid of her. Kept ramming them. They also say that they can have blue acara in the tank since they are somehow related. I got one didnt work. He literally bitten chunks of the largest oscar and i returned it to the pet store.

Hardy fish, beautiful if you like their constant angry faces. Their habits aside they are the kings of the tank and they wont hesitate to prove it.
Also they grow fairly large so they need space.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
Had three in a 36 gallon tank. Lived more than a decade. They will eat anything smaller than them. I had a school of silver dollars in there and the oscar out grew them. When that happened they had breakfast (literally each morning there was a dollar in the oscars mouth alive with the tail outside the mouth, he was trying to gulp it down) with one dollar each day for 4 days. The fifth survived because it grew larger than their mouths.

Also they love rock environments and will 'decorate' anything not rooted firmly. I have an old airfix Renaissance battleship cut in half and thrown in the aquarium. One of the buggers grabbed it from the prow and moved it one day here, the next day there and so on. Oh and for some reason they dig and munch the gravel and then spit it. One got fungus probably from that.

When they depopulated and rearranged everything inside i tossed a yellow parrot in there. Stayed about 7 years but they were afraid of her. Kept ramming them. They also say that they can have blue acara in the tank since they are somehow related. I got one didnt work. He literally bitten chunks of the largest oscar and i returned it to the pet store.

Hardy fish, beautiful if you like their constant angry faces. Their habits aside they are the kings of the tank and they wont hesitate to prove it.
Also they grow fairly large so they need space.
I don't mean to be rude and thank you for the advice but isn't your tank overstocked? I mean, isn't the bare minimum for them to be happy 75 gallons? And you can add more than 1 Oscar in a 100+ gallon tank? I don't plan on tankmates because of their aggressive behaviors. Thanks for the advice, though. Sorry about your Dollars and the Acara's aggressiveness.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #16 
Pilot00

Yep but i was kind of 10 years old at the time, no real experience. When i got them they were about 3 cm each. And after they ate the dollars it was only the two of them along with a cynodis (the third had died from fungus) which they didnt even dare to approach. Into that 10+ years they grew 15cm+ (dont know the inches sorry).

EDIT: BTW i am not sure how much a US gallon is. My tank is 160 liters. I say 36 due to a converter.

Last edited by Pilot00; 07-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

I'm 11 right now. O_O They grow so fast. ^^ I'm probably going to buy them at a LFS. At least not my Petsmart.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #18 
tpocicat

I have two oscars in my 120g tank. They are pink. They know where we keep their food, and any time someone goes near where the food is, they swim quickly to that side of the tank! They are quite smart and very aware of their surroundings.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #19 
Pilot00

Oh a reminder: The old saying: 'Dont bite the hand that feeds you' doesnt apply to them. They are little gluttons... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dgF0BLLJ94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYcvo...eature=related

Both happened to me :)

Last edited by Pilot00; 07-27-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #20 
LebronTheBetta

I wish that was a rule to them... It would be so much easier. They could draw blood. 0.0