Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #1 
Sir Amadeus of Sparta

Can I transport my Betta from San Diego to Chicago in car?

Hi there,

I have had my betta in a 1 gal bowl for a few months now (my previous betta that occupied the bowl lived in there for about 3 years...so I assume it's okay for now) and am moving. I will first be going to norcal (~8 hour drive) and then to Chicago (~3-4 day drive). Is there a way to take him in the car with me?

I have seen posts about tupperware etc. but I feel like that could be okay for the california trip...not necessarily the chicago one.

Any ideas??

Sir Amadeus of Sparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 
puppyrjjkm

Hi there! I think this recent thread would be helpful to you. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=108127

It is definetly possible, I moved my boys by car from Montana to North Carolina over 4 days. I posted how I did it there as others have given advice as well. Hope it helps and feel free to ask more questions!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #3 
jennesque

I've heard people just keeping them in one of the small, styrofoam coolers.. either clean it out really well, or put a plastic lining in it. I'd put plenty of water so he can stay pretty steady, put a lid on.. just make sure to open it to let fresh air in. You would easily be able to bring him into restaurants and hotels this way as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #4 
Sir Amadeus of Sparta

thanks so much! so as per that link you posted with instructions...if I were to keep him in a cup or something and place it inside the bowl (for splashes) would you recommend just keeping him in that the whole time or should I put him inside the bigger bowl at night/during stops?
Sir Amadeus of Sparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Amadeus of Sparta View Post
thanks so much! so as per that link you posted with instructions...if I were to keep him in a cup or something and place it inside the bowl (for splashes) would you recommend just keeping him in that the whole time or should I put him inside the bigger bowl at night/during stops?

What I would really do is since it is such a long drive I would purchase a 1/2 betta 'tank' like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls which is what I used. Half-full and place it inside like a bucket with a towel around it. Not sure if you use a heater in the bowl, but I kept the heaters in the 1/2 gals and plugged them in at night. Definetly take your fish in with you at night at hotels, and try to keep the room a decent temp mid 70's if you don't have a heater. My dad is crazy and turns the air down super low in hotels so I had to use heaters.

If you decide to not want to purchase another tank (which I totally understand) I would probably transport him in his cup inside the empty bowl while driving and maybe every other night put him in his bowl half full so he has more swimming room, not every night so he doesn't get overly stressed. I've also heard its good to have them 'adjust' to the change in water quality throughout the states, however I didn't do any water changes seeing as we got to the hotels 10-11 at night and left by 7:30 in the morning.

Sorry, I wrote so much. There really isn't one perfect way to do this, it's really just what is most approachable to you in the end. It was quite a show when we showed up at hotels with a horse trailer full of stuff, 3 dogs, 2 cats, and five bettas in separate tanks! I pray your journey is far less stressful than ours!

EDIT: This may also be helpful http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=105527

Last edited by puppyrjjkm; 07-22-2012 at 05:19 PM.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #6 
CathrynFish

i know this is old topic...but i moved from AZ to MT with 3 fish by putting them in styrophome Circle K cups.. large thirst buster... they did fine, changed water every time in the hotel. easy to put in the cup holders. possibly not the smartest way to transport a fish? but its probably the cheapest and easiest. i did this last year. my boys are all doing amazing :)
CathrynFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive, how to, transport