Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 
TuckerLove

5gal Divided?

I have heard people dividing their 5 gal tanks between 2 males. I do know things of having divided thanks, I currently have (2) 10 gal tanks. Anyways, I was wondering who has done it and how to small dividers for them.

Id love to see pictures <3

I found out that a local pet store sells 5 gal glass tanks for $11. Kritter Keepers are $10 I think for larges. After my Betta room is finished Id like to start using 5 gal divided tanks so I can fit more :)

As for heaters, since my tanks will be close together and most already have heaters, my closet stays nice and warm, so I will see if they are needed for each tank. If they will, no problem.
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 
lvandert

I have one between two girls. I used a craft mesh bought from the craft store. I do change the water out 50% and 100% each week. I treat it like a 2.5 gallon because of the two fish.
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #3 
BettaAngel13

I am thinking about getting a 10 gallon tank and dividing it for my two male bettas.But I might just buy them new 5 gallon tanks
BettaAngel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #4 
lvandert

I like it but it requires more water changes than a 10 would. I also have a 10 divided 3 way for boys
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #5 
hodgepodgen

Got the mesh at a craft store, the dividers on the sides at an office depo/max.

Last edited by hodgepodgen; 07-22-2012 at 12:37 AM.
hodgepodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #6 
MyBettaEmily

I had the worse thing happen to me today. I purchased a 5 gallon tank and it included a divider. Well the divider didn't work so well because after I added my two males on each side of the divider, somehow they both ended up on the same side. I really don't want to take it back, so thanks for making this post. I probably will just go and get one of the mesh dividers.
MyBettaEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #7 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I have bought the divider kits and I hate them. I finally followed a "how-to" on this website somewhere and I LOVE making them with the cheap needlepoint plastic mash and report covers. I will never buy a stupid divider kit again. Terrible. And not so easy to customize as they say.

The other day I made this new tank divided. I heard of bettas jumping, but none of my 5 ever did that. Then I got a little plakat tail the other day and he jumped over the divider and was in the other side with another male. I got them out before any trouble and made some adjustments. I have divided a 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank before also. But the store-bought divider cracked after only a few weeks.BTW that blue thing in the middle of the aerial view is a filter baffle I made, the filter goes over the middle of my divider and sort of helps deflect the water pressure.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #8 
MyBettaEmily

Hey Mursery that is awesome. I never expected the fish would be smart enough to try and go to the other side!! My poor Shadow got one of his little fins stuck while trying to cross over on the divider, and he seemed a little traumatized!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #9 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
You know, I wonder if it's because it's my first shorter tail guy that he is so mobile? He is a tiny little squirt with slight swim bladder problems, but I have seen him JUMP to eat a tiny gnat or bug . .. I had to laugh. I swear he jumped twice his length. The divider is about 2 inches above water.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #10 
MyBettaEmily

Wow you got yourself a jumper for sure!! For now I have just decided to keep them in two seperate tanks but I wish I didn't have to. One of the other tanks is so much nicer than the other.