Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #1 
underdebate

A tank full of ladyfish

OPERATION SORORITY IS GO. GO GO GO.

Okay, now that I've gotten that out-- yes, my dream of a sorority has finally been realized. It has gone nothing short of marvellously: there's barely been any fighting and my alpha found her place almost immediately. As of day three all nine girls are perfectly comfortable being around each other and coming to the surface as a group for feeding time.

Tank specs:
- about 20 gallons, but closer to 16.5 with decor
- nine ladies, seven siblings from a breeder, one from a local aquarium store and one from Petsmart (incidentally, she's the queen bee)
- this is embarrassing but I honestly don't remember what plants are in there besides wisteria and a moss ball. Long story short: on the day I'd set aside for tank setup, absolutely every petstore in the city was out of aquarium plants, so I came home about an hour before everything closed, used the guide on this site to make myself a frantic list of what would survive in my tank, drove half an hour to the closest real fish store and sort of. Grabbed whatever I knew would work.
- there are also two silk plants in there to cover space until the real ones get bigger. I know, I know.

The lovely white girl is from the same store; the darker-coloured ladies are all siblings.

The bright blue veiltail, whose name is Abily, is very determinedly the tank's queen bee. She's also a bit of a photo-bomber.

And this is the group's second-in-command, of sorts. She and Abily are pretty chill with each other; I believe she nipped Abily's tail once but they seem to have their differences sorted out.

And yeah! It's going frighteningly well, actually-- the girls have settled in perfectly and they've even stopped chasing each other. Since most of the girls are siblings, they basically get along fine-- Abily keeps everyone in line and my white cello gracefully ignores absolutely everyone. Fingers crossed everything stays this way!
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #2 
pinkcupid765

Great tank! It's beautiful! Abily has huge fins for a girl! Very pretty!! Good luck!
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #3 
underdebate

Oh man, I KNOW. I looked at her the first time in her cup and went 'this is not a girl'. I picked her up, looked at her belly, found her egg spot and went 'you know, I'm still not sure this is a girl'. I brought her home and floated her cup in a tank with one of my males (who she had absolutely no time for) and still went 'how the heck is she a girl'. Her fins are massive.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #4 
pinkcupid765

Well, she's gorgeous and you have a good bunch there!!! Hopefully they'll get along! :]
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #5 
CandiceMM

What a beautiful setup you have. I would love a sorority tank in the future so I will have to be checking in on you from time to time. Im glad there is mild girl drama in that tank, could of been a bad recipe lol. All the girls look beautiful and healthy, good luck :)
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote