Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? AM and PM 2/3 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 50% and one 75% this first week.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Safe water condtioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has colored up.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change, hasn't really eaten since I got him last week, seems anxious.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? As soon as I put him in the bigger tank.
Have you started treating your fish? Yes If so, how? Just keeping it quiet, and darker in the room.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea.

He just doesn't seem interested in food. Actually seems like he is eating off the bottom of the tank. I gave him a couple pellets a little while ago, and waggled my finger in the water to attract him. He came over, put a pellet in his mouth and spit it out, so I tried a few flakes, he stuck his nose up at them. Can it take this long for some to get settled? He swims back and forth a lot in his tank, like he's patrolling. I do see him relax once in a while, but I'm still concerned. Any advice would be much appreciated. thanks!

Last edited by Bettanewbie60; 07-22-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Forgot information
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #2 
TheCheese909

If he's active and has good coloring you shouldn't be too worried.

Did you just recently get him or upgrade him from a smaller tank? Sometimes it does take awhile to get used to a bigger tank and he doesn't seem like he's a "Puddle Fish", which I have two of. Those are the kinds of fish who just don't like large amounts of water to live in and get very stressed out about it. Since he is active and not losing any coloration i'de say he isn't very stressed.

Don't worry about him starving at all. Try to get him some API Stress Coat if you feel like, it's water conditioner and a stress reliever. Also try not to feed him for acouple days then come back with either soaked pellets (so they are soft) or with frozen/freezedried Bloodworms to tempt him. Don't worry about him starving, Bettas can go a month without eating and still survive.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #3 
MSG

Post a picture of the tank he's in. I always see posts like this & I think it's related to the tank they're in.

He sounds skittish, so I would provide him with more decorations & some places to hide.

My bettas that I carefully picked out, all started to eat within hours.

Most of them, I housed in those tiny critter keepers 2.5 times bigger than their original cup.

They didn't seem to care as long as they were fed.

Glad they're in the larger sorority tank now.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #4 
Kenny G

I agree with MSG. Betta's need plants and hiding places to reduce stress. Give him time to adjust to his new surroundings. Also keep in mind betta's can go up to 3 weeks without eating. Please keep us updated.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
If he's active and has good coloring you shouldn't be too worried.

Did you just recently get him or upgrade him from a smaller tank? Sometimes it does take awhile to get used to a bigger tank and he doesn't seem like he's a "Puddle Fish", which I have two of. Those are the kinds of fish who just don't like large amounts of water to live in and get very stressed out about it. Since he is active and not losing any coloration i'de say he isn't very stressed.

Don't worry about him starving at all. Try to get him some API Stress Coat if you feel like, it's water conditioner and a stress reliever. Also try not to feed him for acouple days then come back with either soaked pellets (so they are soft) or with frozen/freezedried Bloodworms to tempt him. Don't worry about him starving, Bettas can go a month without eating and still survive.

Thanks. I have only had him a week, and he went right into the 5.5g from his cup, so yeah, maybe just freakin' about all the space. I've never had this happen, but they are all so different! I wonder if I shouldn't switch him out with my tiny female in the 1g bowl. She is going into a 2.5 as soon as I can get it. Hmmm...it seems like he ate this morning, the pellets were gone when I went in about 10 minutes later. But he still seems to constantly be swimming back and forth in the tank. Color still great...I'm going to give him another day or so, and see how he does.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Post a picture of the tank he's in. I always see posts like this & I think it's related to the tank they're in.

He sounds skittish, so I would provide him with more decorations & some places to hide.

Most of them, I housed in those tiny critter keepers 2.5 times bigger than their original cup.

Thanks I'll post a pic of the tank.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post

This is Beau's tank..
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #8 
upsideduck

I wouldn't be too worried at this point. I had a betta fish who went a little over a month before he decided to finally start eating, and then I had to force feed him, which I didn't like to do, but it kept him alive. Sometimes the really skittish fish take a lot of time.
upsideduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsideduck View Post
I wouldn't be too worried at this point. I had a betta fish who went a little over a month before he decided to finally start eating, and then I had to force feed him, which I didn't like to do, but it kept him alive. Sometimes the really skittish fish take a lot of time.
Thanks duck...I guess I'm just used to the "easy" bettas. Leave it to me to get one who is neurotic ha ha ha. I love your location btw! LOL
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #10 
MSG

His tank is nice, I don't know why he wouldn't eat other than no heat.

I personally like to put them in smaller tanks when I first get them so I can watch their behavior & whether or not they'll eat.

I don't like to use substrate either during the first 2 weeks so I can see if they're "chipmunking".
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating anxiety