Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #1 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
Hard Water?

I just checked the water in my 10 gallon aquarium and it said the hardness was 300 I have 3 platys, 3 neon tetra and a 9 week old betta, is there anyway that I can soften the water?

Sorry I didnt meant to upload this post twice I apoligize.

Last edited by bettasareawesome; 07-22-2012 at 04:54 PM.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

I wouldn't soften the water, as it can add more chemicals to your tank and cause lethal ph swings. Neon tetra need very soft water, so i would rehome them.

the betta and plates will be fine, i have also very hard water.

Good luck!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #3 
Kenny G

Yes there is. You can try boiling your water. The mineral deposits will calcify and create scales will separate from your water. This is a process will take a while but may work. It's time consuming due to the size tank you have but its inexpensive.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Boiling only removes the KH part of hardness not the GH. The only way to soften water is to dilute it with water of a lesser softness like rainwater or RO water. Betta are very adaptable, and messing with hardness can be very tricky. With something as sensitive as a baby betta, you could easily do more harm than good.

I agree that the neons should be re-homed. They like softer water and also need groups of 6 or more other neon tetra around. Without this they can be very nasty to your betta. The platies will do fine in water that is hard, but they need a larger tank as they grow.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #5 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
I probably would relocate the neon tetra but I really don't have anywhere to put them also they look okay in there to me. Collecting rain water would be good but that's not really possible in iowa right know because there has barely been any rain for mor than a month or two. Although one does look like it has a numb on its belly I'll post a pic of that in the morning.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 
kfryman

Driftwood, specialized substrates, peat in the filter... Those are the safest way to lowest hardness a bit. Rain water can have acid in it or other pollutants, and RO water leaves zero essential minerals, you should add a product to restore important nutrients that won't raise the hardness.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #7 
lvandert

I would recommend drift wood +1 ^ and or Indian Almond Leaves. They slowly lower the water hardness and release tannins (drift wood will do the same).
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #8 
bettasareawesome

okay I'll try the driftwood I was going to put some in anyways. I be cautious about the ph though.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Are any of the fish having problems....generally all those species will tolerate hard water without issue, however, with the Neon you can usually keep them in hard water but you will need to soften the water if you want to spawn them since their eggs usually will not hatch or fry develop in hard water.

I have really hard water with a high pH...The KH/GH over 300 and pH 8.6 and it has never been an issue with my Neon tetra, but I do have to change the softness when I spawn them and I have to keep the egg and fry in the softer water for the first 30-50 days then I will slowly acclimate them back to my hard water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #10 
bettasareawesome

not that I can see except one has a niped fin but I think it was jst picked on. I just want them to be more comforterble.