Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #1 
lelei

Want to Share A Story How A Fish Is Saved From Bad Petstore Advice

I am actually very proud of myself, and I just have to share the good news, A very good friend of mine recently got a Red VT for her daughter, and was told by a Petco Employee,

that the fish ONLY NEEDS A SMALL BOWL TO LIVE IN, AND ONLY NEEDS TO BE FED ONCE A DAY..MIND YOU WITH FLAKES..OMG..I WAS HORRIFIED, OH, AND THAT THE WATER IN THE SMALL BOWL NEEDS TO BE CHANGED ONLY ONCE A WEEK,

So, I went to her house, and she was telling me about her new betta, and was asking me, how my fishy's look so good, and healthy, her fishy doesn't look so good, and saw how I have a 5 gal and a 3 gal for each fish..
So I looked in the tank, if that is what you want to call it, probably about a qt. size, and filthy couldn't even see the fish, oh, and to add, no heater, they don't need one, and no plants, or hiding cave..and no Water conditioner, and this is a fish savvy person who had a 55 gal fish tank a while back, but didn't know much about betta's so I told her immediately to get him out of the thing he was in, and to cleaner water, with a heater, and she tried to argue that the Pet store people said he didn't need one, so I told her you wanted to know how my fishy's stay so healthy, and beautiful, well that is how,

now she understands, that she will get him a bigger tank, and a heater, and I gave her a plant, and water conditioner, and he is much better for now, he's at least in a 1 gal bowl, with clean water, and some cover..

but I owe that knowledge to this forum, and the people here to are dedicated to proper ways to take care of thier betta's and in turn I did the same for a friend, and it made me feel awsum, knowing that this lil guy will have the same chance at a long, happy life with the information I passed along to her
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #2 
LinkLover

That is so great! Good for you for letting her know that she was misinformed, and the fact that she took your advice makes it even better! I also owe ALL my betta knowledge to this forum, from just reading threads to being corrected by an experienced owner. Congrats on saving that fish and thank goodness for this forum!
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #3 
battered

Ouch...no water conditioner scares me...but the pet store employee was right in that bettas don't need to be fed more than once a day.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Aww! You saved the little guys life:)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #5 
JessSH

Great job! It sounds like you saved the lil guy's life. It should be mandated that all pet store employees go to a site like this & educate themselves.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #6 
SparklE fin

Lol. In petstores, if they're giving bad advice, I walk past and say the right thing. Like someone was suggesting 5 Goldie's in a 5 gallon. I walked past and said single tails need 50+ and doubles 20. I kept doing that while looking for Prazi. They looked mad, I must've cost them a lot of fish sales that day
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote