Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #1 
JBosley

Not Eating?....

Hey!
I got my VT, Maize, almost 2 weeks ago. He was in a 2-ish gallon Critter Keeper, with a heater and some silk plants. Heated to 78F and fed 2 times a day 3-4 Omega One Pellets. I noticed he wasn't really eating! He picked up a pellet or 2 off the bottom of the tank (which was bare) once in a while. He did poop (yay!) and it was normal

I moved him into a 3 gallon, planted tank with a filter and heated. Heated to about 78F last Wednesday. He hasn't been eating! It's almost like he doesn't know I'm feeding him I tried tapping the top of the water where I am going to drop the pellet in, but that doesn't seem to make a difference! It did with my other 2 fish... I'm a bit puzzled!

Also, do Betta's eat the plants? Sometimes it seems like he is grazing on the live plants

Oh! I have also tried giving him an Omega One Freeze Dried Blood Worm, which he didn't want AT ALL! He looked at it, and then swam away... I ended up using a turkey baster to fish it off the bottom later that night
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Bettas are carnivores. If he's eating the plante he's really trying to get micro-organisms that grow there. Freeze dried food is bad. Go with frozen.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #3 
JBosley

I've heard freeze dried is bad, but it ONLY has blood worms as the ingredients. Which I was told makes it okay as a treat

I'm hoping fasting him for a few days might help... opinions?

Does anyone else feel like their Betta's can't find the food?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Freeze dried food bloats them. Doesn't matter what kind.

I had an import (avatar) that wouldn't eat anything. Took two weeks to get him on frozen blood worms.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

I posted earlier today about my new betta not eating. I've had him a week, and he just ignores the pellets, hates the flakes..unless he's eating off the bottom when I'm not looking. When I put the pellets in earlier today I wiggled my finger, he came up, put a pellet in his mouth and spit it out. sigh I still can't figure him out. My other two dive on the food the second it hits the water. ?
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #6 
JBosley

Hmm I shall look into some frozen foods. I'm really hoping he doesn't die or anything! Ugh, makes me nervous.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #7 
battered

Give it time. Make sure he has your attention when you're feeding. Some bettas are particularly dim and won't notice food even if it's right in front of them. Make sure to remove all the uneaten food he doesn't go for/eat too!
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #8 
JBosley

I've been trying to feed him when he's up near the opening in his lid, sometimes he looks at it and swims right under it but doesn't eat!

So frustrating!!! I'm going to fast him for 2 days, and try again I think.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #9 
battered

Maybe try a different brand of pellet? NLS and Atisons are great great quality foods. One of my bettas wouldn't touch a certain brand of pellets but loved another type.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #10 
JBosley

I tried something else, honestly can't remember what But it was WAY to big for him to eat, haha poor guy. But I will try and find a different kind, unfortunately I'm pretty limited... I'm in Canada, and a small city