Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #11 
kfryman

They can be both equivalent, but it depends on your area. My Petsmart is pretty nice, but I feel like the fish people at Petsmart are more knowing. They are both the same distance so I just go to which ever one is better for the product or animal. I like Petsmart for their cheap plakats, Petcos are like $5 more in my area. Teeney mine is the exact opposite! I always have to have a fish person come and help me, some times I leave the store empty handed because they take so long that is at Petco.

I prefer to go to a local fish store though, I think they are much better since they should have specialized people there, my local one has a great store that is super advanced, even selling ADA products (Those products are like the Porsches of aquaroums, super nice) ADA products are a famous aquascaper/naturist Takashi Amano...

Last edited by kfryman; 07-22-2012 at 09:37 PM.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #12 
xShainax

Petsmart hands down. I paid $9.00 for both of these small plants and $1.99 for this small pant in Balthy's 1 gallon
Attached Images

xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #13 
Seki

I have to go with Petsmart by a landslide, but that is directly based on my opinions of the Petco and Petsmart where I live. The Petco is not very clean, the staff has no knowledge whatsoever of the animals they are selling, and the one here has exactly ONE endcap of fish and fish supplies. They had maybe a dozen bettas total... in the whole store. Not only that, but the betta I got from them was not a healthy fish. Nobody there seemed to give a crap about me or my fish.

Petsmart, on the other hand, is a much larger, friendlier, better stocked store. The staff there was so good about answering questions for me and helping me, and they were very kind and sympathetic when I told them my fish wasn't doing well. They were quick to offer advice and several of them told me they'd be keeping my fish in their thoughts, which really touched me. Beyond that, they have steered me toward good products for my fish, answered all the questions I had about him, and were just all-around good people. Plus, their selection was amazing... they had this gorgeous black halfmoon I had to keep myself away from.

For me, I will choose Petsmart over Petco anyday. But again, this is based solely on the stored around where I live.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #14 
MSG

Each store is different.

• It's completely dependent on the the employees of the stores.
You can't judge a entire company for a couple idiots that work for them.

• At both of these stores, sometimes they're short handed because someone's out on lunch break & they send someone out of another department to respond.
  • If you're asking a dog groomer/trainer fish related questions, they're probably going to give you the WRONG answer.

If you own any PET, that is dependent on you for their well being, you have to be responsible and educate yourself somewhat & don't just assume what someone tells you is 100% accurate.

The cashiers at the stores I visit don't bother me. They're rather friendly and courteous.

Also thanks to one of them mentioning the survey, I ended up getting 3 female bettas for free.

• Lava Red Princess (Fire Red - blue diamond dusted scales, Blue eyes)
  • Bumblebee (Mustard Yellow - Citrine/Blue Eyes, diamond dusted scales & highlights)
  • Angelfish looking Bueroza (Steel Grey, Dual Red Stripe Operculum, Blood Red Ventrals)
The last time I was at PS, they rearranged their cups again & moved the girls to the front display.

Walked around for 10 minutes looking at the other equipment and eventually bumped into one of their employees that I've had pleasant conversations with in the past. Asked if he could do something about the blue water, and presto, new clear water for 3 of them.

The only problem was even with the new water, I couldn't tell if the bettas I picked out were hiding their true colors. Asked C for his opinion & he helped me sort out the characteristics between the 4. He also let me open up the aquarium tank cover so I had 8ft long light fixture illuminating the cups.

I got to put away my LED flashlight and then proceeded to get a good look @ the bettas. I noticed one had what looked like a hint of purple & orange on the outside of her fins.

After careful debate among 4 that caught my eye. 2 of them were too dark, 1 had navy blue type coloration, and had dark black body and reddish fins.

I took one more look at the little mystery betta, put the other 3 back on the shelf and brought her cup with me to the checkout counter.

Needless to say, I WON another survey, so I've had good experiences @ PS so far. Their employees are cool with me.

Thought about redeeming it today, but I had too much work to do.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #15 
Shadyr

Give the new store a try out, see how well/if their people seem to know their stuff or at least care for their stock.

Sadly, both my Petsmart and PetCo are meh in the betta department. PetCo gets in some *amazing* bettas, but I always see a couple dead in the cups Petsmart....same story usually, but mine doesn't seem to have quite as many different kinds as PetCo...though I was interested to see they had double tails last time, which they have rarely had in the past.

Petsmart happily hurries bettas off to be "treated" if I point out ailing ones. I wonder myself if I'm just sending them off to a quick instead of slow death when I do point said fish out to the managers. I'd do the same at Petco, but I think there are like two employees in the whole store, so I tend to have to purposely run someone to ground there to get attention.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #16 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Give the new store a try out, see how well/if their people seem to know their stuff or at least care for their stock.

Sadly, both my Petsmart and PetCo are meh in the betta department. PetCo gets in some *amazing* bettas, but I always see a couple dead in the cups Petsmart....same story usually, but mine doesn't seem to have quite as many different kinds as PetCo...though I was interested to see they had double tails last time, which they have rarely had in the past.

Petsmart happily hurries bettas off to be "treated" if I point out ailing ones. I wonder myself if I'm just sending them off to a quick instead of slow death when I do point said fish out to the managers. I'd do the same at Petco, but I think there are like two employees in the whole store, so I tend to have to purposely run someone to ground there to get attention.
I can't speak for your Petsmart, but I will say, my Petsmart takes excellent care of their fish. If any of them are pointed out as sick, they take them to be treated. I am confident they are actually being treated, as an employee was explaining how their hospital tanks were set up when I went in there looking for some help when my betta was sick. They really seem to know their stuff.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #17 
craiger75

I'd say up them both and find a local fish store (LFS). Haven't been into Petco because the wife is boycotting them over something that happened here in NY last year (long story). My guess is they are better tho judging by what I've seen online.

PetSmart I've had limited success with. They are about fourth on my list when looking for/buying something after the LFS, online, Pet$aver and anywhere else ... LMAO!
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #18 
MsGita

As others have said, it really varies from location to location.
My experience with my local (Harrisburg, PA) Petco and Petsmart is this:

Petco
-bettas are healthier and in better conditions
-staff are more knowledgeable (they have 3 "fish guys")
-store and animal habitats are clean

Petsmart
-bettas are always in terrible health and conditions
-have not met any knowledgeable staff
-store is dirty and animal habitats are overstocked and not well maintained
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #19 
Shadyr

I've looked for an LFS, and sadly, for bettas at least, it's big chains. There are three non chain fish stores in my area that I've found so far, and they are all saltwater only. They say they just can't compete with the chainstores on freshwater fish. (They do have some kicking reef setups tho)
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #20 
craiger75

Yeah, saltwater rox but wat a PITA and expense - OMG!
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, petco, petsmart, question