Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 
aqua001

Question Oak leaves?

I heard that oak leaves can be used as an alternative to IAL. Is this true? Also, if it is true, how can you treat it and what is the dosage? I herd that the dosage was 1 leaf per gallon of water but I wasn't sure if that site was reliable. I have a very healthy oak tree ( ot is also very old) that I will pluck the leaves off of. What is the best way to dry them and how should I introduce them to the tank? Also, what will I expect to see in terms of the water quality after I put the leaves in the tank?

Thanks!
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #2 
kfryman

You actually don't want to pluck them, it can turn the tannis toxic. You only want naturally dried leaves, as in fallen of the tree. You can put as much as you want in, but the more the darker the water and if there is something on the leaves, like pesticides, it will be in higher numbers, so any amount is fine, OFL will know for sure though.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #3 
LittleWatty

I don't know a whole lot about this topic, but I'm also interested in what some of the more experienced members say.

As far as I know, 1 leaf per gallon sounds like a lot. I thought it was more like 1 leaf per 10 galons. I also know that they tend to turn the water brown. If the leaves are broken, they'll turn the water brown faster as the tannins (I think?) leech out faster. As for drying, I read somewhere that picking them up already dried from the ground is best, so long as they're clean and smell almost like tea?

I would love to use this for my sick boy, just to make him feel better, but I dare not risk it yet with my limited knowledge.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #4 
aqua001

Is it normal for the naturaly dried leaves to curl? Kfryman, is there any advantage to putting more/ less in leaves the tank? So does it have to dry for a certain amount of time? Also, when it does dry, do you just stick it in the tank like every other thing? On what basis should I change them out and get new ones? Does breeding behavior occur in darker water or lighter?

Sorry for the load of questions but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #5 
lvandert

IAL are much stronger and bigger, and I use a whole leaf with no problems. in my opinion the more tanins released the better. Bettas like the dark water. Just pick up dried leaves off the ground and give them a rinse in old tank water. The rinse will get off any chemicals, dirt or bugs you really dont want in your tank. I'd start with one and see how dark your water gets. You might need to add more you might not.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #6 
lvandert

lol posts at same times.
Is it normal for the naturaly dried leaves to curl? Kfryman, is there any advantage to putting more/ less in leaves the tank? So does it have to dry for a certain amount of time? Also, when it does dry, do you just stick it in the tank like every other thing? On what basis should I change them out and get new ones? Does breeding behavior occur in darker water or lighter?

yes some do curl. I don't think there is an advantage other than the promoting of healthy environments. ^^see above for rinsing. As for changing I've left leaves in there until they were just a skeleton, it's up to you when you pull them. Breeding has been proven to be easier in darkened water, it's more of a natural feel for them.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #7 
aqua001

Thanks guys! How should I get my current betta used to water with oak leaves in it? Is it Possible that my betta will not like the leaves? Also, when I put the leaves in, do they float or sink? Where should I place the leaves ( under the gravel, pushed in one place etc.) ?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

I just crush up IAL and place it in a squirt bottle. Add water and dechlor. Aerate for a few hours and bam... betta spa.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #9 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua001 View Post
Thanks guys! How should I get my current betta used to water with oak leaves in it? Is it Possible that my betta will not like the leaves? Also, when I put the leaves in, do they float or sink? Where should I place the leaves ( under the gravel, pushed in one place etc.) ?
Just put it in there, he'll get used to them as they release tanins. He might not at first only because there new to his tank, but after a while he'll start to enjoy them. they will float at first and then sink. Just lay them on the surface of the water and let them sink where they sink. You dont need to put them any where special
Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #10 
aqua001

Is it OK if the filter brings them down? Here is the leaf I plan to put in:
Attached Images