Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #1 
Lost Eventide

Atlantis tank and naming ideas?

Figured I'd post up a thread to maybe get some ideas for this little theme project I'm doing. The 5g hex I'm taking up to my dorm with me is going to be Atlantis themed seeing I really love the Atlantis myths, and while I love doing projects on my own, I also love getting insight from others for ideas! I can't count how many times other people have pointed me to some great finds. Plus, seeing bettas are such lovely fish, I think one would look very pretty in such a surreal atmosphere.

So, first thing's first, the tank~

I have a Regent 5g hex aquarium to work with, which is literally the same thing as the Marineland Eclipse hex from what I understand, it's just the Walmart brand (yay secondhand stores!). I have a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A896-Elite-Sponge-Filter/dp/B005JP9S7C]Hagen elite sponge filter[/ame] running in it right now (only one I could find locally) as well as a Hydor Theo heater that's keeping it at a nice, toasty 80 degrees F. My substrate is pool filter sand.

Now the fun part! So far as far as decor goes, I have some Hornwort, Anacharis, and a little tiny Crypt Lutea in there. I also ordered the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YLJVG0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01]Marineland LED bubble ring[/ame] (to be used without the bubbles), and the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YLJXTK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02]crystal attachment[/ame] for it to serve as the centerpiece. I figured it would play in with the whole "Atlantean crystals" thing really nicely, and make for a cool light to put on in the evening for an hour or two.

As far as additional decor, I was looking at the Petco Greek ruins like this single column, this three column, and this four column, depending on how big each of them are so I don't overcrowd the tank.

Has anyone seen any other Atlantean-like decor that they think would look nice in there so I have a couple more options? I did see the official "Atlantis set" that one company had with the backdrop and everything for a larger tank, but those pieces were horribly overpriced and I would like to avoid them. I do have a bit of a budget, otherwise I would have splurged on quite a few things as well as one of the bettas I was oogling on AquaBid.

Also, how do yins think a couple pretty blue gems would look half-buried in the sand? Overkill?

Now for the fish itself! I'm definitely not going to be naming him until I get him seeing I want to see his personality/colours, but I would love some ideas. The type I'm looking at is a lovely black orchid with bright blue accents as one of my pet stores stocks them all the time. I just love the black and blue colour combo. Of course, who's to say another little guy won't catch my fancy when I'm up there.

As for Atlantean-type names, these are my ideas so far:
  • Atlantis or Atlas (Attie for short)
  • Socrates (the student of Plato, the philosopher who first wrote down the Atlantis legend. My clown pleco is named Plato)
  • Poseidon (Reigning god of Atlantis)
  • Leviathan (Levi for short. Many movies/artwork/etc. tend to feature Atlantis guarded by a great ocean-dwelling beast)
  • Abyss (because Atlantis sank into the depths of the Abyss)
  • Rune (as in Atlantean runes, namely the bright, glowing blue ones that are commonly featured in artwork)

Anyone have anything else? Pictures will of course be posted once I get this baby going <3
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #2 
Lost Eventide

Had to update this seeing I just got the crystal light and put it in the tank! It looks awesome, especially when the room is dark. This tank is starting to come together a bit, though I'm looking forward to seeing what other Atlantean decor is available!

It changes all sorts of colours (it slowly fades into them), and once you shut it off it slowly fades out as well so the fish don't get startled, which is really cool. I had to take a picture of the blue though, of course!

With the lid off it casts a really pretty ripple effect on the wall too xD I was surprised at how well-made it seems to be. The crystal itself is really thick.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

WOWZ is that beautiful!!!

i like abyss!!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #4 
Lost Eventide

Isn't it? I was so happy when the light turned out that well. I was worried it was not going to show up nicely at all, but I'm glad I bought this ornament now!

I'm favouring Socrates or Abyss myself xD I will have to see what the little guy's personality is like once I get him (which shouldn't be long now!)
Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Eventide View Post
Isn't it? I was so happy when the light turned out that well. I was worried it was not going to show up nicely at all, but I'm glad I bought this ornament now!

I'm favouring Socrates or Abyss myself xD I will have to see what the little guy's personality is like once I get him (which shouldn't be long now!)
Im excited for you!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #6 
Lost Eventide

So, I was hanging out with a friend, and seeing we really had no idea where to go I convinced him to stop at Petco xDDD I got some more decorations, woooo! I also got an anubias for my 29g seeing they had a tubed one that was in really nice shape.

I'm going to organize this a bit more tomorrow seeing I sort of just dropped the pieces in. I really got lucky with that four column piece. I wasn't sure if it was going to fit but it just managed to get into the tank. I'm thinking that if I densely plant the back of the tank it'll give the betta a sheltered area to retreat behind those pillars seeing there weren't really any nice caves available. Plus the plants and the pillars will hide my heater and filter.

Does it look Atlantean yet? =D
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
So, I was hanging out with a friend, and seeing we really had no idea where to go I convinced him to stop at Petco xDDD I got some more decorations, woooo! I also got an anubias for my 29g seeing they had a tubed one that was in really nice shape.

I'm going to organize this a bit more tomorrow seeing I sort of just dropped the pieces in. I really got lucky with that four column piece. I wasn't sure if it was going to fit but it just managed to get into the tank. I'm thinking that if I densely plant the back of the tank it'll give the betta a sheltered area to retreat behind those pillars seeing there weren't really any nice caves available. Plus the plants and the pillars will hide my heater and filter.

Does it look Atlantean yet? =D
It looks AMAZING!Great job!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #8 
quakersteph

Smile

Quote:
Personality plays such a BIG role in naming, doesn't it? Took me over a week to name ours, but he was so "lively" with his almost constant flaring that he reminded me of a dragon. Hence the name Draco, lol. Can't wait to see the pics, good luck and hope a good betta chooses you! Oh, tank is looking great by the way, my 5 gallon hex seems to be the perfect size, hope yours works well too.
quakersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #9 
Lost Eventide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
It looks AMAZING!Great job!
Thanks! =3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakersteph View Post
Personality plays such a BIG role in naming, doesn't it? Took me over a week to name ours, but he was so "lively" with his almost constant flaring that he reminded me of a dragon. Hence the name Draco, lol. Can't wait to see the pics, good luck and hope a good betta chooses you! Oh, tank is looking great by the way, my 5 gallon hex seems to be the perfect size, hope yours works well too.
Yeah, personality is a big determining factor, but I also like to try and keep with a "theme," which is why I like a big list of names in that theme to choose from =3 If you have enough names, you should have one that would fit most personality types, or you at least have some ideas to come up with a new one.

Though I also do spur-of-the-moment names as well xD Plato was a totally random name for my clown pleco, but it suits him for some reason.

Draco's an adorable name though <3 Kind of would remind me from the Draco from Dragonheart as well. He was such a sweetheart, but he could be fierce when he had to be.

I'm glad to hear the hex works well for you! I hope it works just as well for me as well!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #10 
bettafishfinnatic

i like aquaris lol abyss is really cool too... swweeeeet theme by the way (:
bettafishfinnatic is offline   Reply With Quote