Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #11 
quakersteph

Oh yeah, we definitely went through a TON of names before we narrowed it down. Figured with the upgrade and the new home and all he was probably stressed at seeing his reflection and the new people and pets around here. After the first 4-5 days though he mellowed out a little, but is still a spitfire, haha. I have taught him to "dance" for his treats and to greet and stuff, so now if he wants me to pay attention to him, he knows all he has to do is start dancing and it gets me every time.
I really like the theme thing too, and it sounds like you have a lot of options to choose from! You're tank looks so peaceful, like it's own little underwater world, and that is my favorite part of keeping an aquarium. I've kinda done the opposite though, started out with one set-up of decorations and as time has gone completely changed it around and replaced everything with the dragon theme because it just suited Draco better. He likes it better this way, and I find I just sit there staring for the longest time and don't even realize it, lol
quakersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #12 
Lost Eventide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafishfinnatic View Post
i like aquaris lol abyss is really cool too... swweeeeet theme by the way (:
Aquaris is a cool name =3 I suppose you could even possible go with constellation names like Aquarius, Cancer, Pisces, ect. That might be a cool pattern. And thanks <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakersteph View Post
Oh yeah, we definitely went through a TON of names before we narrowed it down. Figured with the upgrade and the new home and all he was probably stressed at seeing his reflection and the new people and pets around here. After the first 4-5 days though he mellowed out a little, but is still a spitfire, haha. I have taught him to "dance" for his treats and to greet and stuff, so now if he wants me to pay attention to him, he knows all he has to do is start dancing and it gets me every time.
I really like the theme thing too, and it sounds like you have a lot of options to choose from! You're tank looks so peaceful, like it's own little underwater world, and that is my favorite part of keeping an aquarium. I've kinda done the opposite though, started out with one set-up of decorations and as time has gone completely changed it around and replaced everything with the dragon theme because it just suited Draco better. He likes it better this way, and I find I just sit there staring for the longest time and don't even realize it, lol
Aw, that's so cute <3 I love it when bettas dance. Occasionally some of my tetras will dance for me, but I don't think their bodies are really made for doing so xDD Too streamlined or something, I dunno, but it sort of looks goofy and they give up real quick seeing they know I'll feed them anyway, haha. Instead they settle for nibbling on my hand whenever I stick it in the tank.

And yes <3 I love just setting in front of my 29g, especially since I put a bunch of plants in it. Unfortunately because of where it is I need to sit in the middle of the living room floor, and my mom always gets a bit irritated seeing she needs to walk around me to get to her shipment boxes and such.

A dragon theme sounds really cool though! Dragons are actually my favourite fantasy creatures, so if I wasn't so bent on Atlantis I may have gone that route. Though, then again, I'm not all that fond of many of the dragon decorations around here seeing they're too cartoony, so right now I have an Atlantis aquarium in my semi-dragon themed bedroom, but once I go up to the dorm I have more victorian-style decor so Atlantis fits a bit better -- at least on my side of the room xD I have no idea what decor my roommate is bringing.

Do you have any pics of your setup anywhere? I'd love to see them =3
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #13 
Shadyr

The light and crystal look amazing! Did you find your fish yet? I had to share a picture, cause what you described as your proper Atlantean fish sounds exactly like my daughter's betta, Indigo.

Name:  indigo0724-1280.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  62.2 KB
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #14 
Lost Eventide

Not yet! My nitrite readings are still a bit high in the aquarium, so I haven't been fish-hunting yet (well, technically I have seeing at Petco yesterday I had to look at the bettas, but fortunately I didn't find one that I just had to bring home right that second xD).

I've been purposely avoiding Pet Supplies Plus seeing they regularly have black orchids available and I want to avoid buying one until I'm cycled. I'm hoping that'll be soon though seeing I am now getting a small nitrate reading, and last week I was at zero.

Indigo is gorgeous though! <3 He definitely does look very Atlantean. I love the gradients on his fins especially with how they fade from bright blue to dark. It's very pretty!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #15 
CharStarr

Your tank is looking amazing, the pillars and your crystal just look so fantastic! I can't wait to see more pics, please keep us updated on this! I like the names Poseidon and Socrates personally. But I agree, it does depend on the fish's personality and what fits, from the moment I got Spyro yesterday I knew he was a strong, determined little guy not like Kudo who's very analytical and friendly.
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #16 
fleetfish

Whenever I think of Atlantis I think of Plato . . . I'm a classic mythology geek though. Really lovely tank :)
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #17 
Lost Eventide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharStarr View Post
Your tank is looking amazing, the pillars and your crystal just look so fantastic! I can't wait to see more pics, please keep us updated on this! I like the names Poseidon and Socrates personally. But I agree, it does depend on the fish's personality and what fits, from the moment I got Spyro yesterday I knew he was a strong, determined little guy not like Kudo who's very analytical and friendly.
Thanks! I'll be sure to =3 I put a few more cuttings of Hornwort in from my 29g (lol, it really is growing like a weed!) so maybe that'll help things cycle a bit faster. Though I'm finding out really quickly just how difficult it really is to work in a smaller tank as far as decorating it and such xD I have a pair of long forceps I use, but even with those I keep knocking over decorations or ripping up other plants, haha. Finally got the new stuff planted though.

I would like to use mostly Anacharis because it actually roots and I love the appearance, but I'm not sure how well the stem I have in there is doing. One branch of the stem is fully green and flourishing, but the other is semi-transparent. I'm wondering if the water's too warm seeing it's around 79-80, though it's doing great in my 29g where the temp's roughly 76-77.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfish View Post
Whenever I think of Atlantis I think of Plato . . . I'm a classic mythology geek though. Really lovely tank :)
So do I! Unfortunately I already have one fish named Plato, and that's my clown pleco xD Can't have two fish with the same name, haha. That's why I thought Socrates seeing he was Plato's mentor (lol, oops, got that mixed up initially, it was Aristotle that was Plato's student. Too many names, especially seeing how Socrates is also a character in Plato's dialogues on top of that, gah).

Last edited by Lost Eventide; 07-24-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #18 
Lost Eventide

I decided I'm going to go and look at some bettas tomorrow =3 My intention was to wait until I was fully cycled, but after researching fish-in cycles, taking into account the size of the aquarium, and doing a couple water changes without a fish present, I determined I'd be able to manage daily water changes without any issue until it's cycled. It's considerably less work to do large water changes in a smaller tank than it is a larger one, that's for sure xD I really get a work out if I need to change anymore than 10% of my 29g seeing I use a 1g bucket to transport old water.

Plus I had to sort of weigh my situation. I'm going to be taking this tank to my dorm in the next month. It's a little over an hour's drive away, which isn't much travel time whatsoever when compared to a fish being shipped overseas and such, but all the same I want to make sure my boy is healthy and thriving before the move just to ensure he'll be okay. Getting him a week or two before I leave for college won't give me much time to perk him up and treat any issues should they arise, and I'm not sure if there is a pet supply store anywhere close to my campus (other than a Walmart), meaning I also need to make sure I have anything I could possibly need before I leave. I'm not going to have a car of my own, and I'll feel terrible if I need to mooch a ride off a friend xD

I'll post pictures if I do come home with a boy tomorrow, but the store I'm going to buy from gets shipments in on Thursdays, so there's no guarantee I'll find one that really "strikes my fancy" so to speak. If not I'll probably go back on Friday to see what came in their new shipment.

I'm also going to see if I can track down an eyedropper or pipette tomorrow xD Trying to measure out Prime into the cap is really frustrating when you have a 5g jug you treat new water in and there's no way to measure easily for something under like 10g seeing there's no way to use "drops." I also should probably pick up a couple more buckets at the dollar store. I think my stepdad used all my other fish buckets for cleaning seeing they were on a shelf in the garage as I could only fit one under my 29g.

Last edited by Lost Eventide; 07-24-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #19 
magnum

All I can say is wow! I'm planning on doing a Greek theme for when I get my new fish :3
Personally though, I like the name Socrates! It sounds very 'Atlantish (?) '.

http://www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_u...1_p1050940.jpg

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=At...9,r:5,s:0,i:85

Just some idea's that I thought might look cool in your tank if you havn't already finished decorating! The second one would be great if your calling him Posiedion
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #20 
Lost Eventide

Oh wow! I really like your first link! I'm definitely going to have to keep that in mind if I carry this theme over to a larger tank because the multiple levels look so awesome <3 I might upgrade this 5g to a 10g in the future, but while I'm taking it back and forth to college a 5g is so much easier to manage, haha xD

And I was looking at that Poseidon decoration as well~ Unfortunately it was a bit too large for what I have to work with D= Plus it's meant for a 90 degree corner, which I do not have.

I'm bookmarking that first one though xD Woo inspiration! Thanks for the links!

And you can't go wrong with a Greek theme! The architecture is just awesome and it always looks so nice in aquariums.