Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 
Sapphoira

During my shift at Petsmart today...

During my shift at Petsmart today I did my routine browse of the bettas, practicing my willpower at not getting any more fish. Usually my petsmart is great at taking good care of their bettas, but today the fish were kind of unhappy looking. I noticed something odd with one of them, a big plakat of nondescript color due to the fact that he was SO sick. I thought he was dead, but he was slightly alive and floating perpendicular, with his head near the top taking big gulps of air. He swam/sank to the bottom when I picked him up, floating on his side and attempting to right himself. I brought him to the pet care manager, (pet care deals with all the fish/small furry/small scaly things in the store) and told her this little guy was sick and needed urgent care. Clean water, put in a warmer place at the very least! Later I asked one of girls who works over there what actually will happen.. and she said "We just put some medication in the sick fish's water and usually they die." I almost cried, or yelled at her.. He could probably have been saved with the proper care, as well as the 6 other sick bettas she told me they had in the back room!! If I didn't work there I probably would have made a much bigger fuss, which would have been to no avail. Petsmart is really invested in customers being happy and keeping up an image of actually caring for pets, which for the most part they do. I wonder what kind of effort would need to happen for chain petstores to realize that bettas need better care? Most customers don't even know, unless they find their way to a betta forum or the like there isn't a glimmer of a chance they are going to know how to care for a betta or know that those tiny cups are terrible for them. If more customers really knew, I wonder if those corporations would consider changing their policies regarding bettas? They might even make more money, it's a lot more expensive to buy the proper setup for a betta than a tiny aesthetically pleasing bowl. They might lose a few customers who are looking for a really cheap pet, but in the long run it might be good. I think I'm going to start writing weekly letters to Petsmart, or maybe calling the employee petsmart hotline where you can voice concerns that aren't getting heard by management....
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #2 
pinkcupid765

That's sickening. Would they do that to a puppy? How about a kitten? NO! Ugh! They are little lives too! I yelled at my Petsmart's manager once… 7 bettas where dead and she was just talkin' it up with the Banfeild people…
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #3 
MyBettaEmily

Hey I agree. When I first purchased my Betta, they made it seem like the tiny bowls were perfect for the Bettas which is just not true. I am sorry you had to go through that today!
MyBettaEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #4 
Laki

Wow. Sorry to hear! As an employee can you get into the back room and ask about adopting one? To take home and try to save?
it is a good idea to call the employee hotline.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #5 
CharStarr

It's true, pet stores don't seem to care about the little bettas. When I bought my first betta Sparky years ago I had no idea that they required so much space, so I bought a 1/4 gallon tank with no heater, no filter. We wondered why Sparky passed on but since learning more it makes perfect sense. I feel really guilty about that still. I make it up by ensuring Kudo is well taken care of.
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #6 
registereduser

What is your job there? Any chance you can get transferred to the pet care area? You care more than they do
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #7 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
What is your job there? Any chance you can get transferred to the pet care area? You care more than they do
I applied for pet care literally every single time they had an opening in the last year. I was getting desperate for a job, and they were hiring again so I just selected EVERYTHING they had open, (lol along with about 30 other places/week!) and they had already hired internally for petcare, but needed cashiers. WHICH MEANS - If I stay there long enough I probably would have a real shot at being hired into pet care. In case you missed that, I'm a cashier :)
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #8 
toad

I definitely suggest that you call the employee hotline; something is seriously wrong if they are letting those animals rot away in a cold backroom. I hope they promote you - you'd be wonderful in a pet care position!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #9 
we3shipps

That is SO SAD! but i believe that you can make a difference.
My petsmart's betta section is the best i've ever seen. Yes, they still have the little cups but they're quite bigger than all the other betta cups you see and i always see them changing the water. It's so hard not to buy another one every time i go in there.
we3shipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #10 
puppyrjjkm

I worked at petsmart for a year. Luckily when I had this problem and took them back into the 'sick room' I would do a daily water change on their cups and place them on top of the larger tank for freshwater sick fish or near the space heater to keep them warmer, which is what I would do when you get into pet care :) This actually saved quite a few and they got to go back out on the sales floor in a few weeks-months depending on their situation. I started as a pet care associate then went up to a lead. If you let the pet care manager know that you are interested in working over there, and just in regular conversations with them let them know how much knowledge you have in that area, and when an opening comes hopefully they'll remember and put in a good word for you! I'd also make sure the store manager knows you're interested since they do the hiring. It's much easier to hire more cashiers than people for pet care. Best wishes!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote