Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #1 
Kaley2013

Advice for a first-time owner?

Hi there everyone, my name is Kaley, and I just brought home my first betta fish about 3 hours ago. I'm super-excited to have him, he's a double-tail, he already has a name (Jupiter), and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make sure he's happy and healthy!

I went to Petco and bought him, along with:
Their special 1 gallon tank recommended for bettas that comes with a filter, a lid, and a lamp.
Special betta "color-enhancing" pellet food.
Water conditioner
Gravel
a single silk plant.

This is Jupiter:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...09154978_n.jpg

And this is his current set-up:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...19106185_n.jpg

After doing some research on this website, I am going back to Petco tomorrow to purchase a live plant, a heater, and a little place for him to hide. At the moment he's kind of lethargic, I think it's because his water is a little chilly. Hopefully he can hold out until tomorrow when I can go get a heater.

I just now took out the filter because it seemed to me like it was almost kind of sucking him towards it. Without it, he seems to be swimming much more freely.

Questions I have:
About how often should I change his water and how?
How do I use the water conditioner when it comes to water changes?
Is there anything else I can do for him?
Would he be okay living with a small snail?

Thank you guys so much for the help. I want to be the best mom for little Jupiter that I can be! (:
Kaley2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Even if I highly recommend you to upgrade your tank, he can still live in it with his super long fins. It's pretty small for a Betta. You don't need the filter either but eh, it's your choice.

About how often should I change his water and how? With a filter, 3 50%s per week. Without a filter, 1 100% and 1 50% per week.
How do I use the water conditioner when it comes to water changes? Use the dosage. What brand is it?
Is there anything else I can do for him? Upgrade if you can, keep the water a stable temperature, buy a thermometer.
Would he be okay living with a small snail? I don't suggest a snail, too much bioload.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Well, a one gallon will need a 100% water change daily to keep your betta in top condition (I breed these guys and I change anywhere from four to thirty, one gallon jars a day depending on my spawn sizes).

I do water changes on my tanks using a "Python". It's a long hose, connected to the sink, that drains and re-fills for me. However for a tank that small it's useless. You can purchase a siphon which works similar to the python except it is manual. However, on this tank you will need to remove him, place him in a cup with a bit of old tank water, and drain, clean and re-fill your tank. Let it sit, add water conditioner, let the temp adjust, the acclimate him back into the tank. This is much harder than my system of dump into net, re-fill, replace fish that I use on my jars.

Water conditioner - just follow the directions.

A small snail will turn into thousands of small snails in just a few months. I say no tank mates in anything smaller than 10 gallons (even then bettas are solitary fish that prefer to be alone).

Food is important especially with a double tail like you have. DTs have shorter bodies because their top is bred to mirror their bottom half of their body. This causes shorter bodies and spine issues. Your boy has a hunch back which means you will need to watch him closely. No more than three pellets once a day and fast him once a week.

Hope this helped :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #4 
Kaley2013

Thanks for the replies. My water conditioner is Aqueon brand that came with the tank. It had me put 1 teaspoon per gallon into the tank. I am going to buy some more tomorrow, since I only had enough for startup. What brand is best?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #5 
Pearl2011

You should upgrade the tank to a 5 gallon, bigger tank are so easy to take care of. You would already have the filter, so you would only need a heater and a cover for the tank. However in a 5 gallon you could keep him with some ghost shrimp, although they might become his dinner. When your there next pick up a thing of freeze dried blood worms for him. They LOVE it! And fast one day a week. I know it sounds cruel, but it is good for them. I do it twice a week and mine have never gotten sick. Although Ruby does like to give the others the occasional torn fin . . .

For the plants, get Anacharis (Egeria Densa) with a moss ball or two for effect. IT looks amazing. My anacharis doesn't even have a proper light on the tank and it has grown and I only got it Thursday (i think).

What kind of gravel do you have? Sand is the best for plants and I love the look of it. So natural and the fish love it. Get a bag of play sand for super cheap (55lb costed me 7.82$) and do about 1.5-2inches. Perfect substrate as long as you rinse it VERY well before you put it in the tank. Put it in a bucket and rinse the heck out of it. I spent about an hour doing it and was sooo worth it.

Best of luck with Jupiter! He is so gorgeous!
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #6 
Pearl2011

For water conditioner I use Prime by Seachem. You only need a tiny bottle for a tank your size. I have the smallest and I have 4 tanks (to be 5) and I have plenty left.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #7 
Kenny G

Hello Kaley welcome to BettaFish.com and congrats on getting your first betta. Handsome fish you got there. Let me try to answer some of your questions in the order you presented them.

1. You should do partial water changes once or twice a week depending on how cloudy or dirty your water looks. It should be 20-30% At least once a month do a 100% water change. Always acclimate Jupiter to the water before releasing him in the tank with new water. Put him in his cup with a lid and float it in the tank for 1/2 hour. This way Jupiter will adjust to the water temperature and not get shocked. If you have an empty 1 gallon container and pre-treat it with the conditioner and leave it out for 24 hours do it can be room temperature.

2. Read the water conditioner label. It will tell you how much of it to add to a gallon of water.

3. Don't be surprised if he doesn't eat right away betta's can be very picky. You might get lucky. Food they like can sometimes be trial and error.

4. Since you have a one gallon tank I would not recommend a snail. Your tank is kind of small for tank-mates. I will warn you ahead of time you might get massive posts from people who will say its inhumane to keep betta fish in a 1 gallon tank. I have my 2 betta's in 2.5 gallon tanks. As a temporary tank its fine but if you plan on giving him tank mates you should look at tanks that are 6 gallons and up. Your current tank will be good as a quarantine tank for when you get more fish and you need to treat a sick one. Once again welcome and I wish you and Jupiter all the best. BTW Jupiter is my last name so I like it

Last edited by Kenny G; 07-22-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #8 
Kaley2013

Thank you all so much for the replies!

I plan on getting a heater and thermometer tomorrow for Jupiter, along with a live plant, a hiding spot, and a moss ball.

If he's in a 1 gallon tank kept at 78 degrees with gravel on the bottom, a live plant, and a moss ball, being fed 3 pellets a day and fasted twice a week, with his water changed 100% every other day, would that be okay for him? Also, the betta sold at PetCo are kept in terrible conditions, so will Jupiter brighten up any and or grow now that he has a better home?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Are you using a filter? And you could just fast 1 day a week. Not 2 but it's your choice. He's a DT, anyway. Otherwise, it's a really nice home for the little guy. It depends if Jupiter will change. Bettas at pet stores are already adults so might grow, might not. For his color, it might brighten up. If it's a dark shade, it's a dark shade. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #10 
Kaley2013

I have a filter that came with the tank, but it seemed to me like it was pulling him towards it. He only stayed in the corner near the filter. I took it out, and he seems to be swimming more freely. Could that have been a possibility or am I just seeing things? And okay, I will fast him once a week. Thank you!

Tags
betta fish, care help, new owner, questions