Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 
BettaLover223

Two questions! Please help!

I need to find a way to clean my boys tanks and the way I am doing it makes them kinda weird. What is an easy way to clean them? And I want two new tanks for my guys it I want cheap ones. Does anyone know of a website to go to? It's got to be under five gallons as well.
BettaLover223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #2 
lvandert

how do you do it? is the water the same temp?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
how do you do it? is the water the same temp?
I put this soap underneath the faucet which pours into the aquarium and let it soak and then wash it out completely but it has these spots that I can't get rid of and need a new technique.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #4 
lvandert

never use soap to clean a fish tank. It leaves residue.
Ok you need to invest in a gallon container (or a few) and some air hose. Fill the gallon container and let it sit over night to adjust temperature. Make sure you put your water conditioner in there. When it's time to clean the tank get a second bucket and put it below the tank. Put one end of the air hose in the tank and one end by the bucket. Suck on the end by the bucket until the water comes over the lip of the tank. Get that end into the bucket quick, water will be coming out fast. Grab the other end and gently move it around your tank sucking up any left over food and fish poo. Once the tank is about half empty stop. Then (if you can) set the gallon of treated water above the fish tank. Stick the air hose in the gallon of water and end it in your tank. Then suck on the end that goes to the tank and put it in once the water comes over the top. Pull the hose out of the gallon once the tank is full (or you run out of water). If you can't set the gallon of water above the tank then VERY slowly pour the water into the tank from the gallon.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #5 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
never use soap to clean a fish tank. It leaves residue.
Ok you need to invest in a gallon container (or a few) and some air hose. Fill the gallon container and let it sit over night to adjust temperature. Make sure you put your water conditioner in there. When it's time to clean the tank get a second bucket and put it below the tank. Put one end of the air hose in the tank and one end by the bucket. Suck on the end by the bucket until the water comes over the lip of the tank. Get that end into the bucket quick, water will be coming out fast. Grab the other end and gently move it around your tank sucking up any left over food and fish poo. Once the tank is about half empty stop. Then (if you can) set the gallon of treated water above the fish tank. Stick the air hose in the gallon of water and end it in your tank. Then suck on the end that goes to the tank and put it in once the water comes over the top. Pull the hose out of the gallon once the tank is full (or you run out of water). If you can't set the gallon of water above the tank then VERY slowly pour the water into the tank from the gallon.
These aren't those kind of fish tanks.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #6 
lvandert

Unless it has a top that completely seals off (in which case its a death trap for bettas), or sits on the floor, then you can do this with any tank. All you need is a hole in the top to suck water in and out with...
Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #7 
BettaLover223

[quote=lvandert;1175733]Unless it has a top that completely seals off (in which case its a death trap for bettas), or sits on the floor, then you can do this with any tank. All you need is a hole in the top to suck water in and out

Tehnically they are one gallon bowls but hexagonal. I just need to do d a way to clean without buying more studf
Old 07-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #8 
lelei

A freind of mine did have her fish in a one gal bowl, and cupped the fish, with a small cup, and cleaned it out entirely, no soap, just washed with hot water, dumped the gravel rinsed it, and added it back premixed water with water conditioner, and added back to bowl, and accliminated her fishy slowly and let him go..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #9 
lelei

We found the best cup to use is a "Cupcake liner" cup, the lil plastic cup that the cupcake liners come in, those work perfectly:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #10 
toad

You should really ~need~ to wash it out - draining and possibly rinsing in hot water should be enough.

Do you have algae? What are you trying to wash off?
toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta aquarium cleaning