Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #1 
Seki

Please Help! I don't know what happened!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 77-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no but i have a heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 - 50%, 1 - 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he is floating near the top of the tank and seems unable to go down, he floats back up. He is slightly bloated and often ends up floating on his side, though he rights himself.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is stressed, but it is water change day
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today, after the water change
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, just minor bloat from overfeeding at times
How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown (petstore fish)

Please help me, I am so scared for my betta! I was doing his 50% water change today and after I poured in a bit more water, he started acting strange. I have yet to finish pouring in the rest of the new water because I am so scared for him! He seems unable to stay at the bottom of the tank, and his belly is slightly bloated. No pineconing, I looked very closely for that. He is still very active and he moves around if I put a finger up to the glass, or even if I don't. He is breathing from the surface a LOT. Could he have swallowed an air bubble or something? Sometimes he gulps air from the surface. he goes down to the bottom, but he can't seem to stay there, he floats right back up. I have another half gallon to put back into the tank, but I am so worried I have yet to do it. Could I have hurt him when I was pouring the water in? I used a cup to take it out because I don't have a gravel vaccuum... is that okay? I have conditioned the water and made sure it is the same temperature as the rest of his water... Please help me I'm so worried and I don't want him to die!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #2 
lelei

When you did the water change, did you take him out, or work around him,? you may have shocked him a lil if the water hit him hard, yes, you need to do a very lil water at a time, and pour against the wall and it will flow smoother..but for now..keep an eye on him, it sounds like something disoriented him, which is the same thing I recently experienced with my Sammy..when he was first adjusting to the filter in his tank, but I don't think he needs "Treatment" for anything..but keep that water level low so he can get to the surface easier..should be fine..keep and eye..and update when things change..Good Luck..Hope he's alright~
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #3 
Seki

I didn't take him out, I worked around him. I am fairly certain I didn't pour any water on him, he was avoiding me while I was in the tank, but... you think he is in shock? I am soooo worried although now that I am watching him, he seems to be floating to the top less. Maybe he was just really shocked and it is wearing off? I will wait an hour or so before I put in the rest of the water and I will do it by cupfuls this time, pouring against the wall. Or do you think I should take him out and then put him back in? I don't want to stress him by catching him in a cup...
Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #4 
lelei

No, dont take him out..leave him be..wait a while..about an hour..put in a very small amount of water..wait again..and keep doing it that way..so its not too much at once..how big is the cup yu are using?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #5 
lelei

I recently did that with our Sapphire..he just wouldnt stay out of the way..uggh..and he got hit with the water, twice..and he was a lill off..for a few mins..but then he came right back..but that is what i did..i waited and used smaller amounts of water..I was in a rush and tried to do too much..maybe you did it that way too..
Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #6 
Seki

I wasn't using a cup at first, I was just pouring it right in from the bucket. But I have an 8oz. cup I will use to do the rest of the water change. It's the same cup I was using to take the water out originally. Sheik seems to be doing better, he is still floating at the top, but he doesn't seem to float up quite as much as he did before. I think he *can* can down now, which he couldn't before.... or at least not for long. From time to time he still ends up floating sideways, though... is that really bad?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #7 
lelei

Does it look like a water current is making him "Sway" like blowing in the breeze, or is he actually laying or swimming that way..can you post a pic..so I can see what he looks like?
Btw..dont POUR from a bucket..way to strong..the water hits the water in the tank hard and causes too much movement..lil at a time..takes longer..but safer..
Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #8 
Seki

He is actually laying that way, or rather... he drifts up to his side. He can right himself, though, and he does when he is swimming. It is only when he is still that he might float onto his side. I will try and get a picture to show you, he isn't doing it all the time.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #9 
lelei

I notice when Sammy is resting, he is heavy finned, and he starts to sway to the side, and he just lets his body go with it, and then he snaps out of it, and starts to swim a lil --it's kinda like when we start to doze off, and our head drops, it's funny.. and cute..but i would watch your lil guy if he is bloated, it may be something else..
Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #10 
Seki

He is not completely sideways because of the plant, which I think he was using to keep himself righted. But he doesn't do this all the time, just sometimes.