Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 
fishyfishfish425

Brown Spots..?

Hi everyone,

Ive had this guy for about 2 months, but over the past few weeks have noticed these brown spots appearing. When I first noticed I looked online to mke sure it wasn't something like an external parasite...but it was hard to find photographs that matched anything to what it looks like. I did read that fish with his coloring it is common for them to develop spots--wish I saved that so I could reference it here now, or just re read it, but I no longer have the link.

Anyway, his behavior is totally normal, but I keep thinking worst case scenario if its something I want to catch it early. I read if it is a parasite they'll be rubbing up against things and itching, which I haven't noticed him doing at all but I'll monitor it. There is one spot by his gill that does seem "attached" to him...I can see it moving as he breathes, but at the same time it almost doesn't look like a "living thing". So that really makes me unsure.

Also, I'm assuming that if it was a parasite it would be contagious to other fish. Right now I have him in a 10 gallon with divider, but the divider allows water to pass through it so my other betta looks fine.

I took a bunch of photos, I know his tail a little messed up right now. He bit chunks of it off about a month ago so it is slowly going back to normal.

Housing

What size is your tank? 10 gallon with divider, so he has 5g of space
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No, but he can see the through the divider/water passes through

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets-hikari betta bio-gold & hbh betta bites (i dont' like using those often, they're so large), and also occassionally freeze dried bloodworms as "treats"
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-4 pellets twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner and aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.4 (both regular ph and high range ph are 7.4)
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

thanks for your help...
Attached Images

Last edited by fishyfishfish425; 07-23-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: photos upside down
fishyfishfish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 
misterBetta22

i think that is parasites.
misterBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #3 
misterBetta22

hmmm or maybe get the medicine from somewhere. and i would cool down the temp. OH I KNOW What is making the parasites come! THE BLOOD WORMS. they can have parasites. CAREFUL. and do not feed the blood worms for a while... oh and feed the fish only 2 times. if it goes bigger just feed 3 times. many accidents occur whenever you feed too much. ok ENJOY!
misterBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Uh, if he's acting fine, that's just normal coloring. Don't worry about it. There aren't really any parasites that are brown.

Last edited by LebronTheBetta; 07-28-2012 at 12:43 PM.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterBetta22 View Post
hmmm or maybe get the medicine from somewhere. and i would cool down the temp. OH I KNOW What is making the parasites come! THE BLOOD WORMS. they can have parasites. CAREFUL. and do not feed the blood worms for a while... oh and feed the fish only 2 times. if it goes bigger just feed 3 times. many accidents occur whenever you feed too much. ok ENJOY!
The bloodworms aren't the problem. They're already DEAD. Any parasites that WERE on the worm aren't there anymore.

To the OP, don't worry. The bloodworms aren't the problem. You could still feed it on your schedule.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote