Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 
CharStarr

Real Tragedy...

Hey guys, so the other day my husband and I were out shopping and we stopped at a strip mall. He went in to some store and I didn't feel like going in so I started checking out the other stores. I walked past a laundry-mat and noticed a fish tank in the wall so I decided to go in and see the fish. What I saw absolutely broke my heart, there were three fish and one ghost shrimp and their tank hadn't been cleaned in a VERY long time. I'm not sure what it was but there was this black growth everywhere, on the gravel, on the filter, on the decorations, just absolutely COVERING their tank. The fish just looked SO unhappy and at first I didn't notice the ghost shrimp until it practically jumped right up to see me. I wish I could've brought them home and saved them. It just breaks my heart...
Attached Images

CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 
Laki

Eww. What kind of store was it? Maybe call the manager and speak to him/her about this. This shouldn't be on display in the condition its in. Black algae is hard to beat. It's a wonder the shrimp are alive in it!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #3 
CharStarr

Thats the thing Laki, it was a laundry place, where you go do your own laundry, there is supposed to be employees but it's completely empty all the time. There's a lot more black algae then you see too. It's awful. I don't even know if the fish and shrimp get fed everyday.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

If the ghost shrimp is still alive.... may be the tank just looks yucky, but there is actually a self established balance in there keeping it going. And the water is actually clean oO
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #5 
toad

If you can't get a hold of the person who owns the store, call the people running the mall. They'll know who runs the store, and if you complain about something on their property, I'm sure they can do something about it...
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #6 
CharStarr

toad - I think I will, that tank is disgusting and who knows how many times a week those poor fish actually get fed.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #7 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
If you know it's in terrible condition, you could always put those photos up on Yelp. A lot of times businesses respond to it. They can even respond directly to your review.

But I'd make sure that black stuff is something bad first. I assume it is .. but I'm a newbie to aquariums so all I know is what I have read here about bettas.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #8 
Firefly85

It just looks like a bad case of black beard/ black brush algae, it is tough to get ride of, but i don't think is is bad for the fish not sure tho, never had it. the tank probably gets too much sunlight or the tank lights are on too long which algae love.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote