Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

curious about prices

I was in Petco a few days ago, and I noticed that while most of the bettas were between $3 and $4, there were some that were $13 and $16. What makes these so different and so much more expensive?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #2 
Lost Eventide

Probably different tail types. Veiltails tend to be the cheaper ones, but crowntails, halfmoons, deltas, etc. seem to up the price depending on the type in question. Females also tend to be significantly cheaper than the males.

I can't remember exactly how my Petco prices them, but I think halfmoons were among the most expensive. Don't take my word on that though seeing I was rushing around like a maniac last time I was there xD
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #3 
katrina89

My halfmoon was almost 15 dollars at petco... i was shocked! but let me just say when picking out a betta its personal preference and its hard to be like well atleast this is cheaper let me just get this vt even though i love this halfmoon... same goes for if u like a female over a male... ur just gonna click with a specific one... grr i wish my halfmoon was cheaper but o well i love Crimson and i do not regret getting him... i love halfmoons and hes my first one :)
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #4 
lelei

Yes, same at our Local Petco, the VT's are the cheapest, and then the CT's and the HM's and Kings are the most expensive..I think kings right now are thee most expensive, oh, and DT's are also getting expensive..I beleive it goes by popularity, (seems like a lot of people want the HM's) cannot afford them, so choose VT's instead..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #5 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Yes, same at our Local Petco, the VT's are the cheapest, and then the CT's and the HM's and Kings are the most expensive..I think kings right now are thee most expensive, oh, and DT's are also getting expensive..I beleive it goes by popularity, (seems like a lot of people want the HM's) cannot afford them, so choose VT's instead..
I have a soft spot for VT's and my next one( when one of mine goes... hopefully a long time from now) will be a VT its just hard for me to find them in colors other than blue and red :/

i have a CT and a HM... i have to say the halfmoons fins are pretty but its not easy for him to really swim.. poor guy... so i dont think ill get a CT again...i mean he swims ok but he has to work harder and HM's are gorgeous but the price geesh... and there are some gorgeous VT's and are most likely not going to be bought ... so i have a soft spot for them
Old 07-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #6 
lelei

Your fishy is very pretty, but yea, our Sammy's fins are getting sooo long, and he is slowin up..so I can tell they are weighing him down a lil but no biting, as of yet, I am pretty sure if he gets really sick of em,, he might just do some trimming..:(
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #7 
Mo

I pay an average of 40-50 dollars per fish O.O
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #8 
katrina89

meant to say its harder for the CT to swim not the HM ... oops
Old 07-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #9 
Shadyr

When Petsmart puts them on sale, the VTs are 1.99 and the girls are usually 99 cents. (This I remember since I want to do a sorority!). Normally they are 2.99 for the male VTs and 1.99 for females. The crowns I think are 6.99, the dragons (plakats) are 9.99, and halfmoons and doubletails are 11.99 iirc.

Petco is usually within a dollar of the petsmart prices.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #10 
katrina89

i got a CT from petsmart for 3.99 i think?... deff wasnt 6.99 tho... in nc